Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Choosing the right programming language

Hey my boss and I are thinking about creating an inventory management system. I need to show him the pros and cons of using different programming languages. Does anyone know of a link to an article about that? Or know of some considerations that we have to think of?

Thanks
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

there are lots of things you may need to consider... first of all would it be online or standalone? if its going to be online you need to think about where its going to be hosted (ie. microsoft or unix/linux) and therefore would have to be coded in a server scripting language thats supported by the server.

if its standalone, there are lots of languages to choose from... (its obviously down to personal preference) but i like coding in microsoft technologies like vb or a clr language because there is so much support for the languages online.

hope this helps

scott
  5. protected static $geek = 'Me'

Currently Trapped in tblmaze. So many foreign keys..
    I see little point in programming something like that in anything more than VB6, or VB.NET (my choice). The simple reason is; Inventory systems are often small 2-3 form applications with a large database behind it, VB.NET combines both speed of production & database interaction for the job.
  7. fork while true;
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

yes but VB.NET runs slowly. If it's going to be high performance, you need something which can handle the strain. Even Delphi optimises more then VB.NET. MY choice in your situation wouldbe VB6 because its still faster than VB.NET and its eays to program in.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the help guys. I am leaning towards writting it in php so that it is online and can be easily integrated with ecommerce and have the ability for sales reps to use it on the road.
  11. Commie Mutant Traitor
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

What database backend do you intend to use? That's at least as important as the language the front end is coded in. Also, is it a Windows platform (as most folks seem to be assuming, probably correctly) or something else?

Also, not to undermine your job or anything, but have you looked at the off-the-shelf inventory management systems? If nothing else, they might give you some sense of how the various issues have been solved by others.
    Rev First Speaker Schol-R-LEA;2 JAM LCF ELF KoR KCO BiWM TGIF
    #define KINSEY (rand() % 7) λ Scheme is the Red Pill
    Scheme in Short Understanding the C/C++ Preprocessor
    Taming Python A Highly Opinionated Review of Programming Languages for the Novice, v1.1

FOR SALE: One ShapeSystem 2300 CMD, extensively modified for human use. Includes s/w for anthro, transgender, sex-appeal enhance, & Gillian Anderson and Jason D. Poit clone forms. Some wear. $4500 obo. tverres@et.ins.gov
  13. Inherits Programmer.Slacker
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

yes but VB.NET runs slowly.
    Not really. Write code in it all the time. Runs just fine. This one's even more puzzling...
    VB6 because its still faster than VB.NET
    ? Wow - I've never seen a single instance where this has been true. Not trying to flame, but just haven't.

One thing you need to remember - and this is important - good inventory management systems have very little to do with the front end. Database triggers handle a LOT of the work. I work on these things every day for my employer. We have an older system that was written in PowerBuilder, and are switching up to a product called Navision (purchased by MS). Both of them have this architecture.
    Last edited by Fisherman; June 23rd, 2005 at 10:31 PM.
    Fisherman

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." - A.Einstein
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i assume your program needs to be hacker proof

Im gonna tell you not to use php, becuase (as a hacker) i know that it is relitivly easily hacked. I would use mysql (which can be protected more easily) in combination with Java, at least if it is a small program

If it is not a high security operation then just use php and sql

Comments on this post

• misterdanny disagrees : PHP is not easy to hack, code that is not written well is easy to hack. If you write crap code it will be easy to hack (language independant statement)
  17. Inherits Programmer.Slacker
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

yeah - any scripting language applied through the web is going to be relatively insecure. I would personally recommend that you tie as much of it up in the 1st and 2nd tiers (data and business levels). Let your database deal with the referential integrity and maintenance issues (if I update an order/bin/item -what else do I need to do). Let you middle tier handle business processing (invoices, order-taking, security etc...), and use your front as a interface-only and user-specific functions (if you need to dynamically allow functions based on user-type). Inventory systems are great examples of the need for n-tier architecture. Designing it in this way makes it more flexible in the future (you can use many of the same classes in a GUI client later, can maintain more easily), and it allows you to design security into the system on the levels where it's needed. Also, you have the ability to expose only what you want to the world at large, providing limited interfaces, which makes hacker-proofing a little easier.
    Fisherman

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." - A.Einstein
  19. No Profile Picture

My article on choosing right programming language.

Here is my article on 'choosing the right programming language' which is intended for beginners.

ninethsense.com/content/view/51/59/
  21. Not much of a contributor
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Fisherman
    Not really. Write code in it all the time. Runs just fine. This one's even more puzzling...
    ? Wow - I've never seen a single instance where this has been true. Not trying to flame, but just haven't.

One thing you need to remember - and this is important - good inventory management systems have very little to do with the front end. Database triggers handle a LOT of the work. I work on these things every day for my employer. We have an older system that was written in PowerBuilder, and are switching up to a product called Navision (purchased by MS). Both of them have this architecture.
    Maybe he's not saying about the end product or the performance of the finished application. From what I understood, he's merely saying that VB6 loads faster than VB.Net and it's true in terms of VB IDE not the actual performance of an application.

Well, it's up to your choice but it will still depend on how you optimize your code regardless of what language you are using.

Anyway, I suggest you go into .Net. We cannot deny it but VB6 is getting old and some functionalities are built in already in .Net compared to VB6 hard coded API hacks. Well, im still beginning to learn .Net because you know i love VB so much that it's difficult to have a transistion. But i said to myself that I should catch up with times.
    Last edited by zynder; August 14th, 2007 at 10:29 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Google's No1 Supporter!
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by JavaManiac
    Im gonna tell you not to use php, becuase (as a hacker) i know that it is relitivly easily hacked. I would use mysql (which can be protected more easily) in combination with Java, at least if it is a small program

If it is not a high security operation then just use php and sql
    Completely untrue! A well-developed and coded PHP system is not any easier to hack than any other language. The only PHP systems that would be easy to hack would be badly developed and coded ones. Which would stand to be said for any language, if you don't code against hackers, generally, it can be hacked.
    Did this post help? Please Click The Next To My Post
    Need help? Did you try Google?
  25. No Profile Picture

Inventory Management System refers few forms and it has large database. So from the my point of view VB.Net is best programing language because it gives result very fast and accurate.
  27. No Profile Picture

choosing the right programming language

Hi guys.

The progression of computer programming languages was made possible by the programmer's search for efficient translation of human language into something that can be read and understood by computers. The languages generated, called machine code, have high levels of abstraction, which hide the computer hardware and make use of representations that are more convenient to programmers.

All your comment for iphone development are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

You can use the VB, VB.NET that are easy for the programming and You can also use the C# it is like the C. and very simple to create the connection with the database.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo