1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Design a scientific imaging software

I have a big project to re-design/re-write an aging scientific imaging software. In short, the software communicates with imaging hardware (ccd cameras, frame grabbers, etc) to acquire high resolution images of human tissue does some real time calculation with the images, and display them on the screen. The current system has two major components, a GUI written in VB6 for the operator to adjust parameters of the image acquisition, and a library written in C to do the real time image calculation. The natural choice for upgrading the GUI seems to be VB.net. However, one of the requirements is that the new software has to be portable to other OS. I'm here to ask for your thoughts on what language I should use - it has to be easy for GUI design, is platform independent, and can easily communicate with C/C++ dlls.

Thank you in advance for your input.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

java sounds like the obvious choice.

However, the C library isn't cross-platform anyway, so the fact that the UI needs to be cross-platform doesn't really make sense unless these are on separate computers (and therefore the fact that the imager is in C is irrelevant)
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    java sounds like the obvious choice.

However, the C library isn't cross-platform anyway, so the fact that the UI needs to be cross-platform doesn't really make sense unless these are on separate computers (and therefore the fact that the imager is in C is irrelevant)
    The c library will need to be rewritten/repackaged to be cross-platform, but will probably remain in c/c++ due to speed requirement. I have come across the Qt framework on the web as a choice for cross-platform GUI applications. Do you have any comment about it?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo