1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Finding all possible combos?

Hi group,

What I want to do is figure out the formula needed to output all possible combonations of an inputted string. For example:

Original string: 12345

Thus, I want to come up with a way to display all combonations of those five numbers (12354, 12534, 15234, 51234, etc..) without ever repeating the same combonation or having the same number twice in any new combonation. I have really thought hard on this for the past few weeks, but haven't yet found a solution that works. It seems like the solution isn't that hard to figure out, but I just can't get it right. If anyone can just give me the general idea on what to do (For...Loops, variable increments, etc.) I'd greatly appreciate it!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

This is called "permutation", iirc it is a *very* simple recursive algorithm and you should find a lot about it on google.

The general idea is to use a recursive function and make it run only over half of the possible results. The "towers of hanoi" problem iirc resolves to the same algorithm.

hth,
    M.
  5. Doggie
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Off the top of my head:
    Code:
    pseudo code:

list lst
    int pos

for(pos=0 to length(lst)){
    	doit(lst,pos)
    )

function doit(lst,pos){
    	list sublist
    	int subpos
    	if(length(lst)==1){
    		print lst[0]
    	} else {
    		sublist=lst-char@(pos)
    		for(subpos=0 to length(sublist)){
    			print lst[pos]
    			doit(sublist,subpos)
    		}
    	}
    }
  7. No Profile Picture

Ever heard of a factorial?

All you have to do is multiply the number of things being arranged (say 5) times the number - 1 times the number - 2 times the number - 3. So it would be (in the case of there being 5 things being arranged) 5*4*3*2 (*1, but it makes no difference). There is a factorial built into many programming languages. In some, you can just say "m = 5!" for "m = 5*4*3*2*1" But you can always use a loop. Note: It may be easier, conceptually, if you use 1*2*3*4*5 because you get to do it "forwards."
  9. No Profile Picture

Oops. I thought you meant you needed to know the *number* of possible combinations.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo