1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cool Hotel management application in php

I am beginner in php, finished learning PHP with MySQL course. I want to start with making a live project. I want to make a Hotel management application/software for one of my friend's hotel at my place, for free of cost. I have noted down all the maximum possible information about the hotel and present ongoing manual process, including, number of room, number of floors, different rooms with different facilities and cost of the rooms based on the facilities provided, room vacancies status [presently maintained in a book]etc,. Now my big question is, how do i design/convert this real time problem/scenario in to a php application. How many tables should i take or for what data i have to take tables in database. And coming to coding part, where do i start, do i have to use classes or anything else. I need the flow of software design, including the database design also. Please any experts please guide me. Thanks a lot in advance.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

For the database, first you can do is look at your description and find all "physical" things.
    this could be a room, then you make this as table and start writing a list of what information should be related to room, e.g. room and maybe the floor.
    When you done this, you can continue with facilities and so on.

For the more technical approach, you should look up Database normalization.

You will do a similar for the actual programming, find all functionality you need and then try to group them together in files/classes/libraries.

I suggest you also look up flow charts and UML diagram on google.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This sounds like a good first project. You'll probably learn best by diving in and seeing where it goes. There will certainly be design problems with your first app, but that's how you learn. Nobody just wakes up one day and designs a perfect application their first time.

I would start by drawing out some mockups of the interfaces that you want to provide. This will help you define a lot of things about the application and it will help give you direction as you work on the project.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo