1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Improving upon a basic C++ console app

My group is creating a program for a software development class and we're unsure how to continue. The program is written in C++ and extremely simple. It just asks a group of people various features like eye color, dominant hand, etc, stores that data in txt files, and groups them based on those features. The C++ console application works fine but our professor would like something more user friendly.

We only know basic C++ and some python and have only a month to finish this. What I would love is some suggestions on how to proceed. Some suggestions so far have been converting to python and setting up a local website with web.py or using Qt or converting to JavaScript.

We know nothing of servers, databases, or web frameworks but would really like to create some sort of window with buttons. Nothing pretty, just prettier than the console window. With only a month and other classes to deal with I don't know how realistic it is to learn a new language or learn about web development.

I apologize for the newbie question, I hope this is in the right place, but can anyone provide some direction for us?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

send pm person
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

...The C++ console application works fine but our professor would like something more user friendly...
    What could be more user friendly than a program that "works fine"? You're suggested solutions revolve around rewriting the entire program, but I don't see where you've defined what "more user friendly" means. You should start there. More user friendly might mean making it more resilient or helpful when the user gives it bad inputs. Granted, if it's TTY style application, adding a graphical UI or even a TTY forms based interface (see curses or QT) might be a major improvement, but you can fix that without tossing away all of the previous work. Adding an SQL database on the back-end might qualify as well.

Don't forget to define who your users are. Think in terms of where does the data come from and who ultimately consumes that data. Your professor may have been referring just to the users who input the data. Is a web form really "better"? Or he might have in mind whoever has to consume that data? For instance, how is it ultimately summarized/displayed? If it's stored in an xml format, you might create a pure HTML based improvement on the back-end. If it's in a database end users could use all sorts of data mining and visualization tools to access it.
    I no longer wish to be associated with this site.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo