1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Local Data Access

Hi,

Lets say I have a web site which by the UI lets the user pick data, from his own database / files or anything else localy and perform any kind of action on the local machine.
    So I want to store only the query actions made, so that in next login of the user, the site will perform those action on the data.

Is there any kind of solution or design to do so, or any ideas?

The main concept here is to reach a user's sensitive data without it reaching the server side, and stay updated with his data.

Thanks!!!
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You'd need Flash/Silverlight or Java: neither your web server nor Javascript can access the user's files.
  5. No Profile Picture

Understood

Any way i can make my server only to act as data transfer machine?
    - I know it is possible, but why should a user with sensitive data will trust this?

So actually my server will recieve data with the client's database

Something like site which user credit cards and stuff..?
  7. Did you steal it?

But... you said the data wasn't supposed to go server-side...

What problem are you trying to solve? Or what application are you trying to make?
  9. No Profile Picture

Sorry for the bad english probably the reason for the confusion.

I am looking for a way to show the user's data records from his own database.
    So if he updates his own database the website will update according to the changes.
    The problem is that because of security reasons I don't think that any user will just give me the credentials for the user database.

So there are two solutions I may think of
    1. The data is retrieved only localy - You said it is not possible
    2. To implement the server only as a transfer rout through the user's DB to the page, but then why the user will trust the site?
    3. Forcing each user to create a data repository web service - The problem is that it is not intended to programmers.

A good example to it will be like some kind of web UI of MySql workbench when every user can access his own DB from anywhere,
    Although I need only to retrieve data (selects) and not to update it.

I hope I explained this clearly, Thanks!
  11. Did you steal it?

Yeah, you would definitely need Flash/Silverlight/Java for it to run on the client.

While they probably wouldn't (shouldn't) give you root or privileged credentials, they could easily create a read-only user account. If you're only intending SELECTs and the like then that's actually not a big problem.
    The larger issue is that many databases sit behind a firewall, as they should, so you wouldn't be able to access them externally. This really would have to run on the client.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo