1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Multithreading, Parallelism..etc

Hello.
    I would like to ask first a general question (I will get specific I suppose later since I am planning to work with C or C++) about the following issues:

• Multithreading
    • Parallelism

Theoretically are they the same? I am asking from a general point of view since what confuses me is that there can be multithreading in a single processor system, right? Is that consider parallelism?

Or are those concepts independent of the number of processors the system has?

I am planning to implement multiple processes in a single processor system and I would like to learn and find good resources (books) for this. Should I look for multithreading? or for parallel programming?

Thanks a lot in advance
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Look up multithreading if you're interested in the implementation details. Also note that threads and processes are not the same thing. Implementing multiple processes is significantly different from implement multiple threads.

"parallel programming" generally refers to techniques and algorithms for splitting work across multiple cores or processors and then recombining it to get a meaningful result faster than if only one core had been used to do the work. If your concern is primarily on the algorithm then look this up.

Due to the nature of modern processor design you can run into parallel processing type problems even on a single core processor. This is because your threads share some resources (memory) and you cannot predict or guarantee the order in which instructions from different threads execute.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KansaiRobot
    • Multithreading
    • Parallelism

Parallelism is a "Concept/Methodology", and it simply deals with "doing something simultaneously (i.e. in parallel)"

Multithreading are hardware/OS implementation.

see this Threads
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Parallelism can be on many levels:
    - Multiple separate computers working together over a network
    - Multiple processors in a single computer
    - Multiple threads in the same process
    - Instructions being executed in parallel by the CPU by itself
    - Techniques like SSE

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo