Thread: Good MVC Book?

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Good MVC Book?

Hi Guys,

Whilst looking in depth at Joomla, I needed to start to learn about the MVC software architecture (because Joomla has been coded in such a way). I have found a number of MVC tutorials on the web which give an introduction to how you go about coding MVC but i cannot seem to locate a good book on the subject. I would ideally like a book thats written in a tutorial style manner, starting out with the basics and then moving onto more advanced topics if possible. My background is in PHP programming and im already familiar with OO concepts but i havent done too much with MVC. So my question is does anyone have a good book that they could recommend to fit my requirements?

Thanks in advance.

P.s. There are a whole host of books describing MVC use using ASP.Net - but i cant use them because my background is in PHP.
    Last edited by daz883; May 16th, 2013 at 07:58 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Go learn about SmallTalk. The term "MVC" has been market-terminologied out of meaning anything specific anymore, and very few projects that claim to use the MVC model actually do (this is especially true for web-based projects).

There are some ancient pages on an ancient wiki I'd rather not link to directly from here that go into detail about this. Do a search for "c2 wiki mvc" and read both "ModelViewController" and "ModelViewControllerHistory". Much of the information and argument on those pages is from the folks who pioneered the ideas.

Anyway, Joomla is simple enough you don't need deep MVC theory. Understanding that MVC is now more a buzzword than a concrete architecture is important for other aspects of your development as a hacker, though.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo