1. Some day I will be a Lambda!
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Retrieve a Folder -or- Directory Size

I have tried in vain to retrieve the size of a Windows NTFS folder through a VC++ Application.

If any one could please help a novice C++ programmer I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance...

Beans4You
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    I remember helping you traverse an NTFS directory a while earlier.
    Traverse an NTFS Directory

All you need to do is add some more code to sum up the file sizes. You can get the filesize of each file from the WIN32_FIND_DATA structure. For more info on the structure, see this:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de..._FIND_DATA.asp

So the filesize would be computed in your code as something like this:
    (data.nFileSizeHigh * MAXDWORD) + data.nFileSizeLow

Add them up into a global variable and you should be set. BTW I think this post really belongs in the C/C++ forum rather than the algorithms forum.
  5. Some day I will be a Lambda!

Scorpions4ever,

First, thanks for all your help - now and past -

Second, why use the (data.nFileSizeHigh * MAXDWORD)? I always get a zero as a value when calling data.nFileSizeHigh.

Third, I have done something similar but not using the (data.nFileSizeHigh * MAXDWORD). My problem is, is that the algorithm will not enter directories such as "System Volume Information" and therefore I get a total which is smaller than the value returned by Windows in the properties of the directory, and a strange phenomena also happens. I can run the function several times right after each other and get slightly different results each time.

What I was hoping to find is some attribute or system call which I could send the directory path and get the size. There has to be some way to do it, I mean how does Windows perform this task? Every time you request the properties of a directory does it go through the trouble to recursively search the directory?

Eric
  7. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    >> First, thanks for all your help - now and past -

I'm always glad to help

>> Second, why use the (data.nFileSizeHigh * MAXDWORD)? I always get a zero as a value when calling data.nFileSizeHigh.

Because the documentation from Micro$oft says to do so. If you check out the link that I posted above (the one to MSDN), you'll see that it says:
    "nFileSizeHigh
    High-order DWORD value of the file size, in bytes. This value is zero unless the file size is greater than MAXDWORD. The size of the file is equal to (nFileSizeHigh * MAXDWORD) + nFileSizeLow."

Normally, nFileSizeHigh will be 0, unless your filesize exceeds MAXDWORD, which is 2^32-1 (around 4+GB). There are few files currently available that are this large, but in the future, this may become more common. Can anyone say "bloatware!"

>>Third, I have done something similar but not using the (data.nFileSizeHigh * MAXDWORD). My problem is, is that the algorithm will not enter directories such as "System Volume Information" and therefore I get a total which is smaller than the value returned by Windows in the properties of the directory, and a strange phenomena also happens. I can run the function several times right after each other and get slightly different results each time.

Without seeing your code, I can't really tell you what's wrong. BTW if you check the properties of the System Volume Information folder in Explorer, the size returned is 0 bytes, so I suspect this isn't affecting your total. Maybe the size of your total is being affected by cached files or cookies, if you're websurfing at the same time?

>>What I was hoping to find is some attribute or system call which I could send the directory path and get the size. There has to be some way to do it, I mean how does Windows perform this task? Every time you request the properties of a directory does it go through the trouble to recursively search the directory?

I'm not aware of any such call. I think Explorer also recursively searches to compute the size of the directory, because I can actually see it adding up the file sizes, when I check the properties of a large folder (such as Program Files). After it computes it for the first time, I think it caches the value so that the next time around, the computation is much faster. There is a fast way to get available space or used space for a drive though, instead of going through the directories. For this purpose, you can use GetDiskFreeSpace() or GetDiskFreeSpaceEx().

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Scorpions4ever; September 19th, 2002 at 04:46 PM.
  9. Some day I will be a Lambda!

A most in-depth answer.

Thank you much.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo