1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Software plugin support

General question about software plugins...

I'm interested in creating a software plug-in. The purpose of the plugin would be to import particular data [from that software] into a new custom format. Assuming that software is a closed platform... and making a traditional plugin is not possible... are there any other solutions for me to use that software's data?

Thanks in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

A general answer would be no. If the software does not have a plugin architecture and is closed source, the only way it would be possible to work with the software's data is by reverse engineering whatever storage format the software uses for the data. There is no generic way to go about that.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply,
    I'm obviously not a programmer, so please bear with my elementary questions... I'm just not quite sure what you mean by 'generic'.
    If I understand what you are saying... is that by reverse-engineering the software, it would be possible - but just as a more expensive custom stand-alone software?

Thanks again.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Re: Software plugin support

I know about software. But I have no idea bout how to make it. Thanks for the sharing this information.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo