Thread: Ms Visio

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ms Visio

HI GUys

Are there any open source alternatives to MS Visio.

I need a software for DFD's and ERD's

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Diddy
  3. Business Analyst
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Does openoffice.org have anything like that? I can't remember.

If you're using MSSQL the Enterprise Manager has a tool that draws an ERD of your database, but I suppose you want to do an ERD before writing the DB scripts eh?

Even MS Word has simple drawing functions. It's not pretty, but you could do it that way.
    Discontent is the first necessity of progress. - Edison
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Eclipse has a few open source modelers you can use. Just search the eclipse.org site. MS Visio has some advantages though in that you can cut/paste them into a SOW word doc and people can view them without needing Visio.
  7. Business Analyst

I believe you can also use Visio w/ SQL Server to "reverse engineer" a database. I might be lying about that... pretty sure though.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That depends on which version of visio. I'm pretty sure 2003 and up support it. 2000 requires an enterprise version or something like that I think.

In terms of open source alternatives...download the trial for Rational Rose for free...

I'd really be interested to hear if you find a good one out there for free.
  11. Business Analyst

Rational Rose is nice once you get the hang of it but the learning curve is HUUUUGE. It's a real pain in the a$$ to do lots of simple things. You have to right click here while holding CTRL+~ and spinning in your chair while singing Yankee Doodle. It's very powerful and good software, but difficult to learn. And if you want the non-trial version it will cost you quite a bit. Here are some prices... WOW!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

OpenOffice has a drawing program similar to Visio. It may not be quite as full featured, but is more than adequate for what you want. You can export diagrams as WMF or EMF and load them into Word, if needed.

The standard Linux drawing program is Dia, and there is a Windows port here. I have not used it, so cannot comment on its quality or stability.

There are several open source UML editors. The best known (by me, at least) is ArgoUML.

Dave
  15. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

One that hasn't been mentioned is Visual Paradigm for UML. The community edition is fully functional and fairly powerful.

It's UML 2.0 and not so much for older-school software development -- it doesn't have the concept of an ERD directly available, for example -- but you can easily simulate what you want to do with it. An ERD is nothing more than a UML Class diagram. A DFD is in UML, albeit slightly different these days from the DFDs I grew up with.
    Bad code monkey! No banana!
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

yeah, i have created erd's in UML where a class is your entity and the attributes are your fields (which is techically all true)
  19. No Profile Picture

Nice post. You may be interested by the UML online modeler called GenMyModel. It designs UML-compliant models in a web-browser and generates code.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo