1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question What programming language is good for this type of software?

I want to make a desktop client for google translator.
    Assuming the software must have a user-friendly interface and must be very stable, what programming language do you recommend?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

What operating systems will you be targeting?
    I no longer wish to be associated with this site.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jwdonahue
    What operating systems will you be targeting?
    Windows XP, Vista and 7

I want the program to be stable and quite portable.

(There's no need to be 100% portable (however it's an advantage) but at least it should have one setup file that does all the work...)

I prefer there is no need to things like .NET Framework
    and installing extra DLL's etc...

This is a non-profit project for some students who do not necessarily know much things about computer.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

From looking at the provided API, choice of language is irrelevant.

Your constraints eliminate Perl and anything .NET based. I think you can bundle the Java JRE with your application, so Java should still be in the running. Someone better at Java than me should talk about how sensible that is. Python is also in the running, with py2exe. And then there's various other languages that compile to native binaries.

So you aren't exactly restricted or pointed to one language. Then, the more important question becomes, what languages are you proficient with? What languages do you have experience with? How much programming experience do you have?
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Oler1s
    From looking at the provided API, choice of language is irrelevant.

Your constraints eliminate Perl and anything .NET based. I think you can bundle the Java JRE with your application, so Java should still be in the running. Someone better at Java than me should talk about how sensible that is. Python is also in the running, with py2exe. And then there's various other languages that compile to native binaries.

So you aren't exactly restricted or pointed to one language. Then, the more important question becomes, what languages are you proficient with? What languages do you have experience with? How much programming experience do you have?
    Thanks for your reply Oler1s,

Well, I am not a professional or experienced programmer.
    I know PHP (which is useless for this scenario, Visual Basic and a bit of Python.

I really like to be able to make it using VB6 because the program must have a simple desktop interface and I don't know how to make a GUI with other languages.

What I want is almost exactly like this:

http://granslator.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=30472

Please help me.
  11. No Profile Picture

window 7 is better for you.
  13. No Profile Picture

I will suggest you to use java because it is most secure language
    but it is not quite easy som you can also use .net it will provide you client-server architechture and it is easy more than java.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Security is a function of the programmer who built the application, not a function of the language.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  17. Expert Debugger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by pythonbeginner
    Well, I am not a professional or experienced programmer.
    I know PHP (which is useless for this scenario, Visual Basic and a bit of Python.
    Well if you know PHP you can use the same for the client side software development.

QT is a cross-platform application development framework widely used for the development of GUI programs (in which case it is known as a widget toolkit), and also used for developing non-GUI programs such as console tools and servers. It is basically C++ based but with wide range of bindings and you can use PHP too PHP-QT

Also, have a look here

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo