1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Domain Visualisation Information Request

Hi,

I'm doing a final year university project on domain visualisation and I need to research into issues that system administrators have with their system that could be solved if particular data was collected together and visualised for them.

One suggestion for example was that there can be errors in permissions on shares and people may/may not have access to something, and so a visualisation of shares, the groups and users that are in them ,and then the sub folders, and then some way of showing the permissions that each group/user has to the different folders.

Another suggestion was a system that periodically pings all computers connected and displays their IP, and shows if they have recently been unable to be pinged.

I appreciate any responses. Preferably I would like responses from a number of different environment (schools, large/small businesses, etc)

Thanks,

Paul
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by Duresthar
    Another suggestion was a system that periodically pings all computers connected and displays their IP, and shows if they have recently been unable to be pinged.
    I think that machines that respond to pings are vulnerable to a variety of attacks. I don't see how this sort of system could be useful really. Now, a score-board model might be acceptable. You have the monitored clients check-in with the server and the server can remember when they last checked. Display the age of those check-ins and you've got something usefull and way more secure than a system based on pings.
    I no longer wish to be associated with this site.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Sounds like Graphviz might be useful to you.

http://www.graphviz.org/Gallery.php

It uses a very simple text based description (DOT) which Graphviz then renders to images.
    http://www.graphviz.org/pdf/dotguide.pdf

Ive used it to visualize class inheritance structures of .NET dll's using reflection. Such information was usful durring project meetings when discussing design issues.

Im guessing a bunch of tools that create dot files from system data would be handy to administrators.

Hope that helps

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo