Thread: Desktop Widgets

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Desktop Widgets

I am trying to find some information on writing a simple widget for the Windows desktop that would show an Iframe to a page on a server. I want to use it as a .exe file the user has to click to open... just like a program. Is there such a thing? Is it easy to make? What language would it have to be written in?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So you want a window that displays a thumbnail image of a web site and when you click on the window, the web site is opened in a browser?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by wonton
    I want to use it as a .exe file the user has to click to open... just like a program.
    Exe files are programs.

The language you use to write a windows program is entirely up to you. Assembler, Basic, C/C++/C#, D, .... Z, the list goes on. I see you have worked with SQL and PHP in the past, do you know any Java?
    I no longer wish to be associated with this site.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

@alienkinetics

No. I want the program to actually be like a browser that just contains 1 php page with some AJAX and the close button in the top right.

@jwdonahue

No. I love to learn though if you could point me in the right direction.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Im a little confused.

You need to define your requirements better if you want help. You are very vague in your descriptions.

Sit back for a second and think. What is it that I want?

Define the window size, look, functionality. Load up a paint package and mock up a demo screen.

Becasue, im at a loss.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am horrible at paint LOL.

Ok let me try and explain. I would like to make a program that users can download and when they click the desktop shortcut it would open a small browser window 400 X 400 (maybe hopefully i can configure that) in the browser window it will connect to a page I have on my site (hopefully I can configure that). If they are logged in it will show them various information like new posts, new comments .. etc. The browser window should have no controls just a close button. Thats why I was thinking something like an Iframe. I will disable all clicking action and all internal links will be javscript loading AJAX. Make sense?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oooo. Thats easy!

Look into the IE TWebBrowser control. I recommend this be written in Delphi, VB or C#.

The web browser control is IE's activex browser. ie: the innerframe without all fluff.

If you haven't a language in mind, then go download Sharpdevelop.

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/

Register the IE browser control. The method to navigate to a page is called....(drum roll)..... Navigate()

simple.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have it installed but WOW what an overload... Where do I begin? I have absolutely 0 experience with C# Could I bother you for a few pointers?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

O, its easy.

1) Start a new solution and select "Windows Application"
    2) Click the "Design" view of the main form. (There is a tab on your source view)
    3) All the avaliable controls are on the left. Goto the Windows Form tab and find the WebBrowser control and add one to your main form.
    4) Go back to your MainForm via the "properties" on the right. And show the events for the main form. Its a little lightning icon.
    5) Double click the "Load" event and enter the code:

Code:
    webBrowser1.Navigate("www.google.com");
    It doen't really get any more simple. The same steps work in VB, Delphi, C#Builder.

The only issue is, if you have an old version, you might have to register the IE activex control, but thats easy.

At the end of the day, get a good book and read.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo