1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Youtube get user's uploads id's

I am going to explain my problem so please bare with me. What I want to be able to do is:
    get all the video ids (11 character long youtube video id) for all the uploads by a user. How i started doing this was see the source code for the users all uploads and then look for ids. But in doing so i found out that not all the video links are there on the web page. For example for this user's (its not me but this user has very good collection!) all uploads, when you see the source there is only like 12 video ids on the page (do a quick CTLR-F with "href="/watch?v=" and you will see) but in fact there is about 500 video uploads by the user. I don't know why is that the case. can someone explain this to me and hopefully help me with a solution? I really appreciate your time.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I assume Youtube has some logic to only display some of the user's videos is some lists. Are you looking at uploads by user or one the user's page? Either way once you get to 500 videos I am sure there is some paging that is put into us.

What good do the video id's do for you? What is the end goal? Are you trying to build a site that creates links for a user's videos or are you harvesting the videos through an automated process.

As a side note did you mean very large collection when you said "very good collection". (Why would you include this detail in your post? What difference does it make?)
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jzd
    I assume Youtube has some logic to only display some of the user's videos is some lists. Are you looking at uploads by user or one the user's page? Either way once you get to 500 videos I am sure there is some paging that is put into us.

What good do the video id's do for you? What is the end goal? Are you trying to build a site that creates links for a user's videos or are you harvesting the videos through an automated process.

As a side note did you mean very large collection when you said "very good collection". (Why would you include this detail in your post? What difference does it make?)
    You are right. end goal is to harvest video uploaded by a user in an automated way. so i want to get all the videos in that list. but as i said before source code does not have all the videos contained in that list. I wanted to ask why is that and is there any way i can achieve my goal?

Lastly, i meant this collection is good and it had nothing to do with the problem. should not have included that..my mistake
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

My guess (since it is unclear where you are looking). Is that paging or some sort of filter is limiting the number of videos on the list due to its size. You might have to code flipping the pages to be able to get all the ids.

Question, out of curiosity, why are you harvesting the videos? Follow up question, I haven't read rules on YouTube, but since you are not in contact with the author, then what you are doing might be illegal or at least unethical.
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'm pretty late to this thread but have you looked at the client libraries that Google/YouTube offer? In looking at an example (in Java but there are others) one of the things that it does is "Retrieving a user's uploaded videos" according the comments.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by stdunbar
    I'm pretty late to this thread but have you looked at the client libraries that Google/YouTube offer? In looking at an example (in Java but there are others) one of the things that it does is "Retrieving a user's uploaded videos" according the comments.
    wow i did not even know this existed.thanks a lot for posting it. it should help me a lot.again thanks a lot for your time.
  13. No Profile Picture

i use aneesoft youtube downloader to download the videos, and its a very good downloader
  15. No Profile Picture

use the idm downloader,its very nice...
  17. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up re:Youtube get user's uploads id's

User's id are very important to know whether the user is genuine or not.
    There are thousand of video on youtube each user can post video of whatever type.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo