Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which Language to Use?

Thank you for any guidance in advance!

Basically, I am wondering which language would best suit my needs to develop a theoretically simple new program that takes imported data, and manipulates it in a specified way for printing. The program will be used at a warehouse distributing center, and will be used to manipulate data imported hourly. The program will have rules on loading the imported items onto pallets with given capacities, grouped by account/store, sorted by route. The user-end of the program will import the orders, sorted out by route and grouped by account, then process the order to sort out the items onto however many pallets, print the order, and repeat as new orders come in. So which language best fits this kind of scenario?

Personal background: I have had some beginner classes in a few different languages, understand the theory behind programming, and have a thirst for technical knowledge. I know this is not going to be an easy task, but with enough research and trial and error, I'm sure I can get there. I just need to be pointed in the right direction so I don't waste my time researching something that doesn't best fit this situation. I'm not looking to develop something flashy and universal, just something specific to this situation and relatively easy to use.

Thanks Again...
    Default.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

there is no best program

the question is what do you have already on the machinery to hand

then what is there for free

then can you be bothered to learn it

the task you have set out is a very familiar one and can be programmed in anything

from assembler to E

FORTRAN, Eiffel, Miranda,lisp Haskel

it really depends not on what you are doing but which programming style you like

object, logical, list processing, etc

you may have access to a language on a machine that already holds your data and could work from there

ms office vba and spreadsheets or access and SQL or a bunch of text files and some arbitrary language
  5. No Profile Picture

If you have understood the backbone of programming, then it would be a fairly easy task for you because once you have understood how a compiler works, then it would seem like you are changing keywords between different programming languages. I must say that, you must put to mind cost and efficiency. Even though you could afford an expensive machine, you should consider utilization. Thatís our goal in programming and computers anyway, maximizing utilization. So it depends on what you have to do and what you want to achieve.
  7. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Honestly, you could use almost any programming language for this. Shell scripting seems a little low-level, though; if ever you wanted to put a GUI on top of your app, you'd run into some barriers. You might be better off coding this in something like Java, which would give you the flexibility to launch either a web or desktop-based GUI to allow other users the ability to modify / preview reports, etc.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  9. No Profile Picture

c and c++
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned

In the present time language's are used to high level programming language. That are - Java, oracle, PL-SQL, e.t.c
  13. No Profile Picture

Java might be a good idea
  15. No Profile Picture

I recommend using Java, it is fairly easy to program yet robust enough to handle the requirements that you are dealing with.
  17. No Profile Picture

C # ,is Microsoft's based on. NET Framework, object-oriented high-level programming language. C # in C and C + + derived from inherited its strong performance, the same time have. NET Framework class library as a foundation, with a similar rapid development capabilities of Visual Basic.
  19. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by okayo0
    C # ,is Microsoft's based on. NET Framework, object-oriented high-level programming language. C # in C and C + + derived from inherited its strong performance, the same time have. NET Framework class library as a foundation, with a similar rapid development capabilities of Visual Basic.
    The issue w/ using .NET is it constrains you to developing solely for Windows, and developing solely on Windows. It also locks you into whatever Microsoft decides to do w/ .NET as a language/platform; go ask an old VB6 developer how they feel about trusting Microsoft.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

There's hardly any reason to advice a beginner programmer take up some complex language. I'd say Java, or maybe something of that kind.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I will recommend you python. Java is most popular language but java is difficult. Python is easy ,modern and syntax are easy.
  25. wizard

If you are manipulating data, then the answer is Perl . It was designed specifically for just such problems.
    __END__

I love Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your thingy.
  27. No Profile Picture

I have using c++............

29. No Profile Picture

My suggestion go for .net. It's better than other.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo