1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Request some general guidelines to build my idea

Hi All!

I have an idea that i want to implement as a website and hopefully i could go commercial with it someday.

A little background on myself first.

I call myself a programmer who got "imprisoned" rather early by business. My everyday concern has to do with ERPs, BI, Business process analysis AND writing code but not extensively. Web Development is not where i have much programming experience on. My main programming experience comes from almost any windows programming language...

The idea is having people write online journals (like penzu.com but far from this general logic of penzu).

I would need a small UI that users will be able to create content. The heart of the service will be the functions that the users could perform on their data. I cant go deep into this as i dont want to make it public. But the needs would be to manipulate the journal data from the DB and do lots of stuff on them (exporting in various formats e.t.c).

Generally i want to get a WYSIWYG editor fully customized in the front (like tinyMCE), and make the users create their content from there. After that is a matter of applying business logic to the data and do my thing.

I have decided to go with PHP and if i use a framework to go with CodeIgniter. I chose CI because :

1) I am not an experienced PHP programmer so i need to start with a light framework that i could into it rather fast.
    2) I need a Frameworks structure and guidelines
    3) I need to write my code as abstract as i can in order to be able to redesign the solution in the future

Secondly i need to decide if its gonna be full custom code or if i will put a CMS (drupal,joomla) on the outside of my apps like a "wrapper".

The last point is what i cant decide the most. I am thinking that if i put a CMS to be a container of my site i will not have to worry about some things (logins,security,menus e.t.c)...

On the other hand it could be more work like this because i will have to plug my applications to joomla's framework and use their classes.

The idea of going full custom is gaining points in my head as i will have total control over everything. Also because the User interface is not gonna be huge i found it a good idea.

Am i trying to reinvent the wheel? or full custom is the way to go in my case?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Wrapping a custom site in a CMS usually ends up being more of a pain than just writing the custom code. For every benefit they give you there's also a limitation that is time consuming to overcome if you don't like it. That said, if you're willing to accept their default behavior they save you a lot of time of course, but in most real world situations people are not willing to accept the default behavior.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

That "feels" right to my head also...

So writing in a framework becomes almost a necessity (speaking of the use of MVC logic, and various classes (authenticatio,encryption,file e.t.c))

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo