1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What should I use for cross platform frontend (database/app)

I'm looking to get started on a project and I'll be hiring the programmer(s).

My question is what would be the best platform for a frontend for software that would work on Windows and Mac.

This would be heavily database driven... it would be a multi-user POS (Point Of Sale) system with invoice/customer tracking and some other bells and whistles not completely related to the POS part.

So, server based database backend that could be installed as client/server if needed. Similar to how QuickBooks functions (I'm not reinventing QB and in fact this would tie into QB at some point for dumping in orders and such).

Some similar applications out there now use Filemaker though I know no FM programmers. My brother is familiar with asp.net and manages asp.net developers for a living and he can/will be involved in managing this project. I of course would just ask him but his experience is limited to asp.net and access (which of course wouldn't be good for cross platform usability).

Personally I'm fairly clueless to what would work and what couldn't work and my current perceptions could be COMPLETELY incorrect.

That said... what are you guy's opinion to what I should be looking into to proceed from here?
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

If you want to support both Mac and Windows, I think the options will be to create either a Java Application or a Web-based system.

Knowing one with ASP.NET experience will tip the balance to the web system.

But this only answer the platform-support. You didn't add any requirements besides this.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by MrFujin
    If you want to support both Mac and Windows, I think the options will be to create either a Java Application or a Web-based system.

Knowing one with ASP.NET experience will tip the balance to the web system.

But this only answer the platform-support. You didn't add any requirements besides this.
    Well, probably tipping the scale even more towards web system is a "cloud" type of solution is sought after by some customers.

This is obviously a MUCH easier transition to "cloud" based if you start with the web as your platform.

Also iPad interface for some features would be nice as well... maybe the quoting and order submission part as it could be used by outside sales reps.
  7. No Profile Picture

Agree with MrFujin.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo