1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy noob needs feedback please

Okay so I've got a ton of ideas for games and am learning unity and python,
    with pixel art, liberty basic, BBC BASIC, 3d CAD home design and drawing robots as a hobby.
    for games I've got a business partner who knows code and is teaching me unity.
    I've over the past few months had ideas for websites, so I'm hoping to learn mysql and php next year.
    So I can start building at least one social network.
    Problem is I had this idea for a "nerdy" dating website, to replace the now defunct alikewise (literary dating)
    and tickle.com/love happens (iq and quiz dating)
    Unfortunately I've just found gamerdating.com and they've basically already done a large part of what I was going to do.
    They got the theme right, they got the profiles and design right, they even also had my idea about including a free game.
    My questions are three:
    1. does this happen alot - someone implements a very similar concept before you can code it?
    or solves the problem your product concept was addressing, leeching your intellectual momentum and keenness?
    2. what would you do next for the idea, and in general?
    3. how fast is the learning process of web programming versus unity and python?
  3. No Profile Picture

It is good to have an unique idea, but it is not always possible. And if you just wait for the perfect unique idea and use it as an excuse to not work on anything, you will not achieve anything. If you a re passionate about an idea it is better to do it. Even if things do not work out the way you wanted, the experience of working on it will give you new knowledge, ideas, friends and so on.
  5. No Profile Picture

thankyou

Originally Posted by Nikolay
    It is good to have an unique idea, but it is not always possible. And if you just wait for the perfect unique idea and use it as an excuse to not work on anything, you will not achieve anything. If you a re passionate about an idea it is better to do it. Even if things do not work out the way you wanted, the experience of working on it will give you new knowledge, ideas, friends and so on.
    that is a very good piece of advice and a good way to look at it. so thankyou. I will keep going with my idea and try to put more of myself in it, so there will still be a lot of difference between what I make and what is already out there.
    I hope to learn unity in 3-4 months - enough to build simple mobile games and more complex pc game prototypes.
    as I imagine php and mysql are a lot more complicated, what is the usual time that it would take to be able to see significant progress - enough to build at least a website (social network-style) prototype?
  7. No Profile Picture

Yeah man, just always work on something. I mean for example it might seem that Amazon sells everything and you cannot complete with them but this does not mean nobody will now do online stores. It is a free market. Get in there and make stuff. With time your stuff will become better and better.

About learning PHP and MySQL, it is something I do like my whole life . There are these levels of knowledge through which I progress with the years and with the projects I work on. It has been so many years and I still don't know the half of it it looks like. These are huge things. Of course you need very small percent of the whole to be able to make websites. But the more you know, the more correctly the website will be made. For example when I learned to make websites with them I didn't know almost anything about PHP security. I had to read another book on it and research the topic online too. This hapened years after I learned PHP. The basics of PHP and MySQL are pretty easy though. I really like PHP.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo