1. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Closing "finished" threads

Hi,

I've seen that threads are immediately closed when the original poster claims that his question has been answered. I don't find that a good idea.

Many users tend to claim victory far too early. The code itself may somehow "work", but there are still hidden bugs, security issues, better solutions or whatever. This thread is a good example: The user has "fixed" the error message, but his code is now open to SQL injections.

If the thread is already closed, there's no chance of notifying him (without sending private messages around). So it would be great if you'd leave the threads open at least for a while so that we can still reply.
    The 6 worst sins of securityHow to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why can’t I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I think in most cases it's the original poster of the thread that closes it, as far as I know moderators do not normally close threads when the original poster claims to have found an answer, even in cases where the answer is correct.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Oh, OK. I didn't know you can do that as a normal user.

In this case I suggest removing this option. There's a reason why most forums only let moderators close threads.
    The 6 worst sins of securityHow to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why can’t I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  7. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by Jacques1
    Oh, OK. I didn't know you can do that as a normal user.

In this case I suggest removing this option. There's a reason why most forums only let moderators close threads.
    I agree. There have been a few threads I have re-opened for such reason when a user hastily closes it. I don't know of any moderators that close threads just because of an answer. We do close them when they become targets for inanity or when they are often bounced to the top by spambots after years of inactivity.

With the administrators more active these days I'm guessing someone in charge will see this and take the suggestion for consideration. We moderators ourselves cannot change this.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint
    I agree. There have been a few threads I have re-opened for such reason when a user hastily closes it. I don't know of any moderators that close threads just because of an answer. We do close them when they become targets for inanity or when they are often bounced to the top by spambots after years of inactivity.

With the administrators more active these days I'm guessing someone in charge will see this and take the suggestion for consideration. We moderators ourselves cannot change this.
    Also, I agree. Sometimes as said before the provided solution is working but not failproof nor foolproof. And can become also buggy.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo