1. No Profile Picture
    PHP-addict
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Tapatalk support

As I browse many forums, sometimes on a 3G or crappy hotspot Wifi network, I really benefit from using Tapatalk. It enables you to quickly browse forums from a central app on smartphone or tablet. It only loads necessary data, so it is bandwith efficient.

The integration into vBulletin is free and very easy to do and maintain.

So I would like to see Tapatalk integration in Devshed.

Cheers,

Ronald
    "Yes dear, I'll come to bed in a minute"
    R. Smit
    http://www.rsdev.nl
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Don't screw up what has been a great resource over the years! Many great, helpful people are here, and it would be sad for them to be driven away by bad management decisions.

Above all - DO NOT LOSE ANY OF THE OLD POSTS.

Best regards,
    AstroTux.
  5. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by ron273
    The integration into vBulletin is free and very easy to do and maintain.
    To do anything useful with Tapatalk is not free. You have to pay either $799 or $3499 per site. (And there's a lot of 'em here.) That being said, I know a lot of people who also use Tapatalk and support would be welcomed.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  7. No Profile Picture
    PHP-addict

Originally Posted by Nilpo
    To do anything useful with Tapatalk is not free. You have to pay either $799 or $3499 per site. (And there's a lot of 'em here.) That being said, I know a lot of people who also use Tapatalk and support would be welcomed.
    Tapatalk integration is free. The app does cost money. The figures you are talking about is when you want to build a dedicated app. That is not necessary and highly overpriced in my opinion.
    "Yes dear, I'll come to bed in a minute"
    R. Smit
    http://www.rsdev.nl
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by AstroTux
    Don't screw up what has been a great resource over the years! Many great, helpful people are here, and it would be sad for them to be driven away by bad management decisions.

Above all - DO NOT LOSE ANY OF THE OLD POSTS.

Best regards,
    AstroTux.
    This is why it's taking us some time to get the sites going. Getting 10 years of updates and upgrades in while trying to minimize pain at switchover time is a tough job. Rule Numbers One, Two, Three and Four are don't lose posts. Rule Numbers five, six, seven and eight are don't change the URLs for anything (threads, replies, forums, subforums, etc.)
  11. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Originally Posted by labatt
    This is why it's taking us some time to get the sites going. Getting 10 years of updates and upgrades in while trying to minimize pain at switchover time is a tough job. Rule Numbers One, Two, Three and Four are don't lose posts. Rule Numbers five, six, seven and eight are don't change the URLs for anything (threads, replies, forums, subforums, etc.)
    There are at least two forums where people won't miss anything if posts are lost.
    1. Outhouse
    2. SEO Forum
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  13. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by labatt
    Rule Numbers five, six, seven and eight are don't change the URLs for anything (threads, replies, forums, subforums, etc.)
    ...which is a b*#$@ considering they aren't standardized across all of the sites.

I feel your pain.
    Don't like me? Click it.

15. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Two new requests:

1. I would like to be able to subscribe to an RSS feed that does not include certain forums (ie: Web Hosting Offers, SEO, programming languages that I don't know).

2. Users with fewer than X posts should be prevented from posting in threads that haven't received a reply in more than Y days unless that user created the thread.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  17. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    1. I would like to be able to subscribe to an RSS feed that does not include certain forums (ie: Web Hosting Offers, SEO, programming languages that I don't know).
    /You can already subscribe to individual forums with daily notification if that helps.
    2. Users with fewer than X posts should be prevented from posting in threads that haven't received a reply in more than Y days unless that user created the thread.
    Totally agree.
    Don't like me? Click it.

19. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Out of curiosity, do you actually use an RSS feed reader?

That sounds like a good solution to the thread-necro problem. Just a few hours ago, a new member posted to a thread that's ~1.5 years old in the CSS forum.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  21. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

/You can already subscribe to individual forums with daily notification if that helps.
    ah that may work, I'll give it a shot, thanks

Out of curiosity, do you actually use an RSS feed reader?
    Yeah, I use Google Reader

That sounds like a good solution to the thread-necro problem. Just a few hours ago, a new member posted to a thread that's ~1.5 years old in the CSS forum.
    In general what I've observed is that a vast majority of posts in old threads are one-liners by spammers who were attracted to the thread because it contained a particular keyword. It's annoying because (a) I get an email notification about a new post that ends up being spam when I open it, (b) mods have to clean up a thread nobody cares about anymore.
    PHP FAQ

Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  23. No Profile Picture

Smile New User - Very Confused

I am a new user and I have read the entire rules for using this forum but there are so many of them and so many forums it is difficult to post in the correct one. If I post in the wrong one I get another warning. I have used several different forums in the past and this one is by far the most complicated, difficult one to use. I'm a new member who wants to become a trusted user of these forums but in lesss than a week I have been given 10 warnings and banned for 7 days. Some way to treat a new member. I'm not allowed to post my User Name as I have not been here long enough and made enough postings. Only the best for all of you.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

I am a new user and I have read the entire rules for using this forum but there are so many of them and so many forums it is difficult to post in the correct one.
    Which rules do you find to be unnecessary? There are only 7 and all of them seem like common sense to me.
    1. Do not spam or self-promote in the forums
    2. Do not post "Free " threads (basically the same as 1)
    3. Do not cross post questions (not usually enforced)
    4. Do not post copyright-infringing material
    5. Do not post "offensive" posts, links or images
    6. Do not PM users asking for help
    7. Remain respectful of other users, moderators and administrators at all times

If I post in the wrong one I get another warning.
    Unless you are doing it on purpose, posting in the wrong forum is not against the rules and you wouldn't receive a warning for it. The only exception to this would be if you are self-promoting, which is only allowed in certain forums.

I'm a new member who wants to become a trusted user of these forums but in lesss than a week I have been given 10 warnings and banned for 7 days. Some way to treat a new member.
    To be honest, I find it hard to believe that you could have accrued 10 warnings in less than 7 days without knowingly breaking some rules. Warnings are virtually never given for anything other than spamming.
    PHP FAQ

27. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by JRichards54
    I am a new user and I have read the entire rules for using this forum but there are so many of them and so many forums it is difficult to post in the correct one. If I post in the wrong one I get another warning. I have used several different forums in the past and this one is by far the most complicated, difficult one to use. I'm a new member who wants to become a trusted user of these forums but in lesss than a week I have been given 10 warnings and banned for 7 days. Some way to treat a new member. I'm not allowed to post my User Name as I have not been here long enough and made enough postings. Only the best for all of you.
    I see no warnings on your account nor do I see where you've been banned.
    Don't like me? Click it.

29. No Profile Picture

Smile

Which rules do you find to be unnecessary? There are only 7 and all of them seem like common sense to me.
    1. Do not spam or self-promote in the forums
    2. Do not post "Free " threads (basically the same as 1)
    3. Do not cross post questions (not usually enforced)
    4. Do not post copyright-infringing material
    5. Do not post "offensive" posts, links or images
    6. Do not PM users asking for help
    7. Remain respectful of other users, moderators and administrators at all times

Unless you are doing it on purpose, posting in the wrong forum is not against the rules and you wouldn't receive a warning for it. The only exception to this would be if you are self-promoting, which is only allowed in certain forums.

To be honest, I find it hard to believe that you could have accrued 10 warnings in less than 7 days without knowingly breaking some rules. Warnings are virtually never given for anything other than spamming.
    Thank you E-Oreo for your comments and insights. I agree completely with the rules you have posted above but I need clarification of 2 and 6. But the rules that I read were a screen and a half long. Much more than 6 rules.
    When I checked My Warnings, down at the bottom it showed 10 warnings and a 7 day ban. That was two days ago and I was surprised yesterday when I was allowed to make these comments.
    I am 84, had double bypass surgery, and am on Oxygen 24/7. My TV and my PC (I have built 7 of them one component at a time.)I have studied programming since 1992, C, then C++, then VB 6, and now VB DOT.NET and database programming. I have been the assistant instructor at Smart Planet on two classes on Microsoft Access. Now I want to learn the SQL Server but am having a difficult time even getting it to work. Nobody wants to help me with the SQL SERVER 2005 so I purchased the SQL SERVER 2012 but it has not arrived yet. My last request for help was how do I safetly install SQL SERVER 2012 when I already have SQL SERVER 2005 installed on my machine. Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 4 GB Memory, and over 600 GB hard drive space. Thanks for listening to my rambling.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo