Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Gotta get to the next screen..
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Could not find phrase 'akismetspam'.

I've been posting a few replies this morning and now I'm hit with this every time I try. Not to bad when doing a reply using the "Reply" screen since when you use the browsers back button it restores the text you typed into the text area. Absolutely sucks when you were doing a quick reply, which is what I do 99% of the time. Even though the box says quick reply I do type long messages in there since I just type the BB code I need directly. I lost a message that took me over 30 minutes to put together. Pressing the browsers back button reults in a blank quick reply box.

What was the point of implementing akismetspam? Not a single DS forum moderator complained about clearing out the spam manually, we've all been doing it for years.
    Last edited by Tann San; June 24th, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  3. No Profile Picture

I'm getting the problem with this thread. I've replied to others before and after but that one just refuses to let me post a reply.
  5. Editor-in-Beef
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi Tann,

Sorry about the frustration - we were just trying to ease the load a little.

I'll have tech take a peek and see what is going on.

Do you have a static IP, or a dynamic one?
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

I ran into this problem a few days ago too. I think it was this thread or this one.

I use a major US cable internet provider, so my IP address does change once in a while.

Originally Posted by Tann San
    Pressing the browsers back button reults in a blank quick reply box.
    At least in recent versions of Firefox, you can recover the text by triggering the browser's "undo" command twice in the textarea (after you re-enable it by clicking on one of the quick reply icons).
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. No Profile Picture

I can see your two tests and the OPs post about being confused but I still can't post my reply. I have it saved to a text file now for when I can post it. I guess that shows I do have faith ^_^
    Last edited by Tann San; May 26th, 2011 at 03:46 AM.
  11. Editor-in-Beef

Hi Tann,

Could you mail me the text file? I just want to see if anything in there is catching for any reason: james@developershed.com.

Thanks.

James
  13. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

This is one of the problems I was talking about that I've seen in other implementations.

Tann, when you say "won't let you post", what do you mean?

@James, you should have the techs do a usergroup check before the spam check and exclude moderators, especially if this isn't implemented on a per-forum basis. There are a few instances when not having this in the private forum would be beneficial.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  15. No Profile Picture

By not letting me post I mean when I have typed my reply either in the quick reply box or via the full reply page I am redirected to a page, formated in the DS style but the message in the middle of the screen is "Could not find phrase 'akismetspam'".

I hadn't considered that it could actually be the content of my post. Here it is so you can check it, of course that is if it lets me post it!

A-ha! It didn't let me post it as a quote in this reply which does indicate I wrote something naughty. I'll attach the text file instead.
    Attached Files
  17. No Profile Picture

I'm not sure I understood you right but did you mean mods should be excluded from akismetspam checking? I'm not up for that, we are already distanced from the users in regards to how adverts are treated i.e. unless you log out and view the site you are not really witnessing the site the way they do. How many new and current users have given up trying to post here due to the akismet issue and not mentioned it?
  19. I <3 ASCII
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'm not sure I understood you right but did you mean mods should be excluded from akismetspam checking? I'm not up for that, we are already distanced from the users in regards to how adverts are treated i.e. unless you log out and view the site you are not really witnessing the site the way they do. How many new and current users have given up trying to post here due to the akismet issue and not mentioned it?
    I almost gave up this morning.

I tried to post to this thread: http://forums.devshed.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2646333 the following attached reply.

I googled the error (in quotes) this morning and this was the first response.

-MBirchmeier
    Attached Files
  21. El Grande Queso

Aloha friends-

So I think Nilpo's suggestion is going to work. I know you're against it Tann, but here's the thing...it's about trust with this relationship. I trust the mods not to spam the site...and I also trust that someone with a high rep or 100's of posts will do the same; or at least more than a random user.

So I'm going to tweak this initially to pass mods through (they need to do their job) and then move onto rating. I'll do this in short order for the sites but I also have a campaign to get live today to keep the lights on, so it'll be today or tomorrow.

The issues we're seeing compared to the spam we're blocking is almost a statistical blip. We had to turn it off on seochat because...well...the nature of their business I suppose...but we saw 300% bump up in spam. I don't wanna see that here for y'all unnecessarily.

J.

As an aside: If you're a VBull programmer, don't like money and want to help out the shed, hit James up. I didn't want to impose on the devs here initially, but it seems I may need a volunteer army.
  23. No Profile Picture

Can't you just fix the problem instead of you know, not fixing it.

Have you even identified what the problem is yet? Are you sure it's not preventing new users or infrequent users from starting threads? Why do I have to ask these questions?

Me posting what I hope is a solution to that users problem has nothing to do with being a moderator, that is just helping a fellow user which is the point of most of the forums at DS. Moderating is when I handle naughty users, clear spam and clean up threads.
    Last edited by Tann San; June 24th, 2011 at 10:47 AM.
  25. Editor-in-Beef

I know Jack is looking into fixing whatever the issue is - and narrowing it down. But it takes time. Remember, the point of it is to help reduce spam, which helps the admins, mods, and new users as well.

Just have a little patience and it'll get sorted.
  27. El Grande Queso

Can't you just fix the problem instead of you know, not fixing it.
    Yes. For why cut back on spam; its not just bad business it's a waste of time for everyone...the other boards complained and universal code went in weeks ago.

The problem is one of 3 things-
    One: dirty IP's or temporary dirty IP's
    Two: posts from email addresses that are in akismet's db as dirty
    Three: the content of the post is seen as spam either too short or too filled with links or the relevance of content to links.

While you may think there's #4 - Akismet is broken - I counter with they are the #1 trusted resource for user gen content spam filtering. Who, otherwise, would you recommend we use? timeouts pass along and act as if there was no check...if Akismet's return times out, the user posts..

The detail-
    The devil falls in the nuances of determining trust.

I trust Akismet: It blocks billions of spam posts for forums, sites and blogs.

Moderators have that trust to not be a spammer.

Posters > 50 posts and have not been banned for spamming have a threshold of trust.

There's not a lot I can do to discern a good post from a bad post below those thresholds. If there's any other trust scenarios you think of I will include those as well. However, we don't trust people who have just joined...out the gate they are neutral. If they post and it's picked up by Akismet, who do i trust? Akismet.

The Fix-
    Strip out the BB codes, allow mods not to get caught, allow posters who are trusted not to get caught. The rest is going to be post-quality which, in theory, catches the spam.

When-
    So the issue isn't getting the code in, its getting the time to get the code in. I am preaching to the choir, but there's a network of 8 sites and 5 forums + daily biz to take care of. That said, I'll be up tonight working on this and (as stated in the earlier post today) I'll have a fix in by tomorrow.

Jack0
  29. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Jack,

How about this...

We already have usergroup hacks in place based on different levels of users. Let's use them.

1. New users start off in the "Registered" usergroup. When Akismet flags a spam, delete it straight away. Done.
    2. Once a user reaches the 30/30 threshold, they are automatically moved into the "Full Access" usergroup. These are trusted users, so when Akismet flags a spam post it should be sent to the moderator queue instead of being deleted. A message is sent back to the poster to let them know what's going on and then you trigger the traditional spam report so that a moderator knows to go approve or delete the post in the moderator queue.
    3. Mods, Super Mods, and Admins bypass the Aksimet check altogether.

Thoughts?
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo