1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PTR record missing on your domain

I just changed my e-mail to our server but had to change it back. our mail server does not accept e-mails from domains that do not have PTR records. I could not get any emails from the forum and had to change back to my yahoo.

You really need to fix this.
  3. Not An Expert

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'll speak with our dev team so that they can take a look into it.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

We've put the request in to our upstream provider, who controls the SOA for our IP block. Unfortunately, we can only keep requesting, we can't force their hand.

For now, I'd recommend you white list devshed.com. I know it's not an ideal solution. For that, I am sorry.

-thom
  7. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    WTF? We have a DNS forum on devshed and give people advice on how to run their DNS servers, but we don't run our own DNS servers currently?? When the heck did that happen?

With all due respect sir, that looks ridiculous.

I always thought IMN was big enough to control the DNS for their own IP block .
    Last edited by Scorpions4ever; May 12th, 2015 at 05:44 PM.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks, Scorpions.

We changed data centers and providers last year. We run our own DNS servers. All our forward look-ups are within our control. However, as is a growing trend in the industry, many vendors are not willing - or in some cases able - to provide us with our own SOA on the IP addresses. This depends on their contract with ARIN and/or their upstream providers.

To be fair, it has nothing to do with how large or small a company is. It's how much the upstream provider paid for their IP leases.
  11. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Ah ok. I've had the good fortune to work at places where we were close to the backbone, so we always managed our own PTR records as well.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes, me too. And those were the good ole days. You know, before the world ran out of IP addresses...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo