• Jump to page:
  1. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I see PDF snot ...
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  3. They're coming to take me away

Not sure if this is an ad or what, but this black screen took up the entire screen with a close button in the middle... Also appeared on my blackberry when trying to view this site.

Rather annoying...

Edit: Actually.. just remembered, I have adblock on, so I don't receive any of the ads on here.. so not sure what it is... (And I don't want to click close just in case...)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by hiker; July 10th, 2010 at 10:10 AM.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. Did you steal it?

Originally Posted by hiker
    Not sure if this is an ad or what, but this black screen took up the entire screen with a close button in the middle... Also appeared on my blackberry when trying to view this site.

Rather annoying...

Edit: Actually.. just remembered, I have adblock on, so I don't receive any of the ads on here.. so not sure what it is... (And I don't want to click close just in case...)
    That's the thing I just posted about. The SWF is external but the scripts and divs and such are coded right onto the page (like the three ads at the top of most pages are).

I can't think of any reason why someone would be so bone-headed as to intentionally use an ad like this, but hey: businesses make stupid decisions all the time.
  7. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

Originally Posted by requinix
    That's the thing I just posted about. The SWF is external but the scripts and divs and such are coded right onto the page (like the three ads at the top of most pages are).

I can't think of any reason why someone would be so bone-headed as to intentionally use an ad like this, but hey: businesses make stupid decisions all the time.
    I just got this ad too. This is 100% unacceptable.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  9. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

I'm gone until this is fixed. Checking in once per day to make sure.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  11. No Profile Picture
    Gotta get to the next screen..

The hosts file I use blocks the actual ad content but I still see the blackout box and close button. Well annoying as I get it on over 90% of my page views.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  13. Banned (not really)

Originally Posted by Tann San
    Well annoying as I get it on over 90% of my page views.
    You said you created the ad/popup in the mod forum. Or were you joking around? I don't know who runs things around here anymore.

It's more than ****ing annoying - it's driving people out of here.

OH, AND WHO THE **** CHANGED THE TAB ORDER SO I CAN'T JUST TAB-RETURN TO SUBMIT POSTS ANYMORE? NOW IT PUTS FOCUS ON THE "NO ICON" BIT AND I HAVE TO TAB TWICE...

-John
  15. Editor-in-Beef
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi,

I posted about this in another thread, but I wanted to post something here as well. The ad is supposed to appear only once and then never be seen again, but it isn't storing cookies properly. I called ad ops, and then tech, and the programmer is working on it to fix the issue and it should be fixed ASAP.

Monday I will speak to ad ops about the overlay ads and see if there is any other option going forth we can use.

Sorry for the hassle and thanks for pointing it out.
  17. Editor-in-Beef

Found the issue with the ad and it should now be fixed. You MAY see it one more time over the next forty-five minutes, but it should be resolved.
  19. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

You know, I specifically don't use adblock on devshed on any of my computers. I recognize you need to make money to survive.

Now, when I see an overlay popup marketing spam software, I figure one of your advertisers got some garbage embedded in his ads. It happens.

When I find out this is something sanctioned by the administrative staff, it has the opposite effect that you're looking for: It makes me download Remove It Permanently and literally block HTML from these pages from being rendered by the browser.

Devshed is a great site, possibly one of the best or the best developer site out there. You're making it look like a two-bit operation that sells email addresses on the side.

You know, you can come forward and say, hey guys, we're having money issues, ads aren't covering our costs, let's think of some ideas that you'd be okay with to help us. Maybe offer some premium content, or ask some of the experts and professionals here to do a bit of writing for your site to attract more visitors. Instead you give us popups selling spam software. Classy.

We're ants, you don't have to ask us before you implement things, because it's your anthill. I suppose you don't even have to ask your moderators who work for free, last I checked, to make your site more attractive. No matter what, this will continue to be your anthill. Might not have any ants left though.

I've been here for some five years and I'd like nothing more than to get 10, 15, 20 thousand posts. I help people for free and, I think, in doing so, generate ad revenue for you. I'm not bragging, just stating my (biased) opinion that my contributions should allow me to speak my mind, politely, and possibly even not be ignored, and probably not be squashed.

Your site, do as you will.

Ches Koblents
  21. Editor-in-Beef

Hi,

I openly welcome any criticism, advice, compliments, thoughts and concerns - I'd never seek to stifle anyone on the sites. We try to ensure that there is no blackhat or spam related ads on the site. If something pops up through an ad network, we nix it as soon as we see it, and the same goes for overtly sexual, liquor, etc. To my knowledge, Infusionsoft is an email marketing company. Do some people use email marketing companies nefariously? Sure, but companies also use them legitimately as well. I could say I use Notepad to write malicious code, doesn't mean it is a bad product.

I would love to have some of our experts in the forums write for us. I have ads in the forums, and have even asked in some places like ASP Free for articles from our mods and so forth. And I definitely welcome ideas to increase not just revenue, but viewership, audience participation, and so forth.

At the end of the day, we all want the same thing - a place where developers and techies can come, have some good discussion, pass along the knowledge we've gained, and maybe learn a little something new.

I know there is an idea that the Shed has an admin staff that sits around rubbing their hands greedily together as our members click away on ads and that we ignore their needs. But its really the opposite. We're a group of developers and editors that literally work day and night to bring about the best product we can. Is there room for improvement and do we fall short sometimes? Absolutely. Are we going to have more ad issues going forth - I can't say that we won't.

But hopefully what we bring to the table, and hopefully the community that you guys have helped build, makes up for the occasional fumbles.

Anyway, just my two cents. Ideas and thoughts are always welcome and we'll do out best to implement whatever we can to make the sites better.
  23. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by jamespayne
    I would love to have some of our experts in the forums write for us. I have ads in the forums, and have even asked in some places like ASP Free for articles from our mods and so forth. And I definitely welcome ideas to increase not just revenue, but viewership, audience participation, and so forth.
    James, you have people right now who want to write but can't because of issues that are still unresolved. I understand that you are only one person but no one else is listening. And from the outside looking in, nothing is changing.
    I know there is an idea that the Shed has an admin staff that sits around rubbing their hands greedily together as our members click away on ads and that we ignore their needs. But its really the opposite. We're a group of developers and editors that literally work day and night to bring about the best product we can. Is there room for improvement and do we fall short sometimes? Absolutely. Are we going to have more ad issues going forth - I can't say that we won't.

But hopefully what we bring to the table, and hopefully the community that you guys have helped build, makes up for the occasional fumbles.

Anyway, just my two cents. Ideas and thoughts are always welcome and we'll do out best to implement whatever we can to make the sites better.
    James, I for one appreciate that you've taken the time to respond. That's really all anyone here is asking. I know personally how far stretched you guys are. A lot of people here don't understand how much time and work goes into maintain a network of sites like this on a day-to-day basis. Having been there and been a part of it, I cannot say that. But it does seem more often than not that the focus and attention is in the wrong places. Sites like these will always have issues. That's a fact. But is it too much to ask for at least a response when someone submits and issue. It's ridiculous to expect a momentary fix. But is a simple acknowledgment too much to ask?

I know people in that office personally. I've have personal dealings with several others and even I have unread trouble tickets dating back over a year.

I understand that not every issue can or will be addressed and that those that will be must be prioritized. This must all be worked into the regular day-to-day work load. But can we at least make more efforts to at least keep up the communication end of things? At least people could take some security in knowing that someone is at least there on the other end listening.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  25. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

I may not be a *professional* programmer (or semi-professional, since I'm getting paid for it), but I've been around for a while and I fully appreciate how much effort goes into maintaining even relatively small sites. I know that despite millions of posts and even more pageviews, you guys are most likely a small and underfunded team trying to keep up.

Nor am I a purist who thinks that putting up ads is selling out. As long as they're reasonably unobtrusive, who cares? You spend more on bandwidth (more html), and hopefully people click them and make up for your loss.

So I offer a solution. Yes, I think it's actually a reasonable idea that will cost you nothing. It may not work. But I'm trying, not just bitching.

Let us - people with free time on our hands, who like a challenge - help you with practical advice. Come to us and say, hey guys, how would *you* improve our operations, given this data? We're not geniuses - well, not most of us, though a few are - but decently intelligent people en masse could probably help you out. Maybe that's optimistic and naive, you be the judge.

For example, I view the source of your site. The first thing I see is about 8 kb of CSS. Now, I'm no browser expert, but wouldn't it make sense to put that 8 kb of css into a css file so that browsers could cache it? Wouldn't that cut down, per average view, at least a few kb? Wouldn't that, in turn, cut down your bandwidth at least a little? I mean, I'm talking baby steps, but maybe my suggestion is worth a few bucks.

Ches Koblents
  27. Sarcky

You know, I specifically don't use adblock on devshed on any of my computers. I recognize you need to make money to survive.
    Agreed, but DevShed is what prompted me to install both flashbock and greasemonkey, the ads had gotten out of control.

For example, I view the source of your site. The first thing I see is about 8 kb of CSS. Now, I'm no browser expert, but wouldn't it make sense to put that 8 kb of css into a css file so that browsers could cache it? Wouldn't that cut down, per average view, at least a few kb? Wouldn't that, in turn, cut down your bandwidth at least a little? I mean, I'm talking baby steps, but maybe my suggestion is worth a few bucks.
    Bandwidth on a good host is $0.10 per GB. Assuming 1.5 million hits per day (which seems like a decent amount, with more than 1,000 users online at 9am EDT, that's more than a dollar per day simply for CSS broadcasting. Simplifying the CSS (or even just packing it) would probably help a little.

Why hasn't DS simply switched to google ads? Our format is 100% suited for context-sensitive advertising. I know they don't make quite as much, but at least they don't make members fly into a rage, and people very rarely block google ads.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  29. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Found the issue with the ad and it should now be fixed. You MAY see it one more time over the next forty-five minutes, but it should be resolved.
    Nope. Got it twice in 5 mins today.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
Page 4 of 11 First ... 23456 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo