Page 6 of 11 First ... 45678 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

With Flashblock I just got ye olde full page 'hidden' ad ... they're baaaaaack!
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Nothing like web surfing while ripping some old vinyl records by capturing the sound output, and hitting a noisy ad right in the middle of Joe Walsh and the James Gang Live in Concert!
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. Sarcky

Got a full-screen takeover today, while logged in (as a mod). Seriously, "take the survey"? What is this, Salon?
    Attached Images
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I just got one coming while responding to the thread reply notification for this thread. How ironic.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  9. Transforming Moderator

Is it just me or has the quality of the ads suddenly plummeted in the last week or so? Every other page I get ads for moms who discovered some stupid crap, or flashing banners that I WON (including audio) some stupid crap, or ads for makeup and other stupid crap.
  11. Sarcky

Video ad. With sound. Welcome to adblock, devshed.

Shameful. This is a professional website that people check during the work day. I can't have a mucinex commercial blaring from my laptop speakers at random.

Also: I work for a social network, we have 14 ad slots per page and are completely ad supported. I know what it's like to run ad campaigns and try to scrape by. This isn't how. For real. We have 20 million registered users and support a staff of 150 (and a data center of more than 400 machines) on ad revenues alone. Target your ads, seek out high quality clients, and run ads that don't make people pick up and leave.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  13. Editor-in-Beef
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hey,

Shooting a mail to ad ops today regarding the audio/crappy ads. I have not seen an audio ad yet, so I do not know if they are still around. Is there a particular spot where you saw the audio ad?

Either way, I will let them know and hopefully get it resolved. In the future, if you see an audio ad or anything inappropriate, please shoot me a mail to james@developershed.com and I will look into it. I get emails 24/7 (literally), so its the best way to reach me.

Thanks.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Another ad blocked

It's shameful that the burden of locating 'bad ads' falls upon the users of the site. Because of the ads with sound i finally installed ad block.

My solution to the problem was a hell of a lot easier than creating an account at image shack, screen shotting bad ads, and then uploading them/emailing people.
    Open for extension, closed for modification
  17. Sarcky

tfecw, I believe he was talking specifically to me, as a mod who has him in my personal address book. I agree with you though.

James, it was that horrible horrible mucinex ad with the talking balls of mucous. It loaded in the bottom right ad slot (well below the content) and played on load with no way to stop it or turn it off.

As a side note, I have firefox on my machine for one thing: Devshed. Adblock for the flash ads, and "firefox" because the damn drop-downs don't work in chrome. I have a netbook at home without firefox on it. Guess what site I don't visit from home? I already stopped visiting it on my phone because it malfunctions there, and now it's claimed a computer.

-Dan

19. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

I've been having these ads come up as well again and they are rather annoying. Just have the mucinex one come up a few minutes ago on another tab. Once in a while a top banner will come up and play a little "Congradulations! You Won!" sound bite. Not nearly as annoying as the mucinex video but still not great.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  21. Editor-in-Beef
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Sorry about the sound ads - thought we had gotten rid of them. Working to get them exiled again.

Thanks for the patience!
  23. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Got an audio ad for Lysol in the bottom right hand corner.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  25. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Got another music-video like ad in the bottom right. Not even sure what it is for. Flash settings seem to indicate it is from cdn.selectablemedia.com

flash embed url, if it helps:
    Code:
    http://cdn.selectablemedia.com/nabbr2/files/NabbrPlayer300.swf?publisherId=I6p_917&adSystem=adotube&pageUrl=http://forums.devshed.com/dev-shed-lounge-26/?s=&daysprune=7&adSystem=adotube&adWidth=300&adHeight=250&videoUrl=http://video.nabbr.com/heypenny_copcar.flv&contentId=xyz&initVol=0.50&initMuted=0&affiliateId=4050&adImpUrl=http://adserver.adtechus.com/adcount/3.0/5144/1776880/0/170/AdId=1293021;BnId=2;ct=3258268461;st=580;adcid=1;itime=74063561;reqtype=5
    Last edited by kicken; January 26th, 2011 at 02:43 PM.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  27. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  29. Sarcky

Nilpo, I actually don't mind those ads at all EXCEPT that the "find as you type" feature of Chrome and FireFox scrolls until the term is jus barely visible. Overlays obscure it. It's a minor complaint, however, compared to full-screen takeovers. Remember, you and I aren't seeing those. Log out and come back to this thread, you'll beg for a tiny scammy iPad ad in the corner.

-Dan

Page 6 of 11 First ... 45678 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo