Page 8 of 11 First ... 678910 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Hi James,

Firing line, I get it, and I'm not upset. We all have to do what it takes to survive, but I'm not afraid of audio ads yet, because in my country, we don't have the investment in technology which alienates buyers to both the propogator and the advertiser to make a crusade worth fighting, but when it does, all networks who take my hosts file will see a nice graphic saying "Normal Service... Resumed as soon as we're arsed to be arsed about being normal, right now, empty your pockets to buy this crap you don't need"

14 mins 30 seconds would suck out all the oxygen of a "standard sized" room, tell me the time of your next team meet, and I'll call you about 5 mins in, could you make sure all heads of network are present ... is probably, exactly what I wouldn't say, in pretty much any situation, .... ... though ....

This is getting beyond the ridiculous, even for extreme boarders ...
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  2. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Got 3 audio ads just now.
    1. Ad for Mucinex ... followed by ...
    2. Some newsreader from an outfit called marketnewsvideo.com ... followed by ...
    3. Ad for lysol

They all show up in the bottom right of the page. While I do have headphones and thus the ad isn't blaring out my speakers, I prefer to have Children of Bodom blaring out of my headphones rather than some mucinex ad.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is this a situation where you are contractually unable to not serve up these ads? If not, why not remove them now?

If you are, and you are not supposed to receive them, then it seems like someone else broke a contract.
    Do you agree? Disagree? And remember, it's all about the reputation power...
  4. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

My guess is since ZDE bought out Devshed, we're just bunched in with a lot of other sites, and we all get 'content' when there isn't sufficient 'content' in line with the site. Probably a deal with a kick back, and when people upstream are making money, then it's all about consuming and sh!tting on the people below. Excuse the analogy, but it's pretty accurate from where I'm sitting ...

James, are you monitoring the stats for the site, are they on the decline, or the up ... ?
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  5. Editor-in-Beef

Hey,

We took down the audio ads, so you should no longer see them. We also took down the smiley face/blinking ads as well.
    I'll make sure we monitor those more closely going forward as best I can. Hopefully we won't have the issue again.

Thanks and sorry once more.
  6. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by jamespayne
    Hey,

We took down the audio ads, so you should no longer see them. We also took down the smiley face/blinking ads as well.
    I'll make sure we monitor those more closely going forward as best I can. Hopefully we won't have the issue again.

Thanks and sorry once more.
    Thank you. You're still getting overlay ads coming through.

Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  7. Contributing User

Thank you.
    Do you agree? Disagree? And remember, it's all about the reputation power...
  8. El Grande Queso

Audio Ads, Ads in general & DevShed Network

Hi:

I'll do a more formal intro later. Up until now, I've only been peripheral on DevShed but am now moving full-time into it. However, don't think that I'm able to come in right now every day and address every concern. There's a ton to do, you guys are well aware of, and a short time to do it.

In the case of audio ads, when you find them we alert the 3rd party ad server. This time, when they did not react (unlike last time), we pulled the offending ads. That seemed to get them moving.

So we're working here for your enjoyment but don't forget, it's a business. Overlays are a part of the business...expanding ads are part of the business. Even in-page video on auto play (ala espn) is in the business...though we're going to shy away from that in the forums.

If we break it down, the forums have the leaderboard, the 3 non-standard slots at the top and 2 MPU's at the footer. We do put the overlay up and make it so easy (click the black, click the x, click anything but the ad) to close.

Message has been clearly received. I hope we can find the right balance of revenue and happiness but like guns & butter it's always going to be a trade off.

DasJacko - Something @ The Dev Shed Network

Comments on this post

• kicken agrees : I dont mind most the ads, just the auto-playing videos with sound
  9. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by jack0
    In the case of audio ads, when you find them we alert the 3rd party ad server. This time, when they did not react (unlike last time), we pulled the offending ads. That seemed to get them moving.

So we're working here for your enjoyment but don't forget, it's a business. Overlays are a part of the business...expanding ads are part of the business. Even in-page video on auto play (ala espn) is in the business...though we're going to shy away from that in the forums.
    But do those have to be part of the business? Throwing intrusive ads at a tech audience always garners a bad response. There are a plethora of other options available. Is it going to cause that much loss in revenue to eliminate them? Is it a lack of marketing personnel to find advertisers? The membership here is used to ads being painfully scrutinized before every going live. That does not seem to be happening anymore. It appears that everything is being distributed my third-party sources who don't have a clue what site they are actually displaying on. I seen how this all works up close and personal. I realize that ads come unwanted ads are going to come through, but we are regularly getting ads for Lysol and Mucinex and other completely unrelated stuff which seems to imply that there isn't a person filtering these things at all.

All-in-all, I don't really mind the ads. In the 7+ years I've been a part of these sites I've never browsed with ads disabled. And I actually do click the ones that interest me on the rare occasion they still come through. But the ads lately are very poorly constructed and even worse served. They cause browser crashes, dreadfully long page loads, and an overall horrible experience.

My suggestions: Lose the dynamic loading JavaScript ads. They load painfully slow. I browse on a high-speed cable connection with a very steady 9Mb downstream. With ads disabled, every page load across these sites is under 2 seconds. With ads enabled, I have never seen a page load under 10 seconds, and most take an excess of 30 seconds if they every load completely. I also experience browser crashes in FF and Safari (various version) on a couple of different systems. Firebug's Net panel shows up to a half a dozen server requests per ad before they load. In some cases, that's just to load the Flash container that dishes out another three or four requests before grabbing content. If I force non-cached page loads I get 30+ second load times consistently. I imagine others are having similar experiences.

If we break it down, the forums have the leaderboard, the 3 non-standard slots at the top and 2 MPU's at the footer. We do put the overlay up and make it so easy (click the black, click the x, click anything but the ad) to close.
    That's true, but I've had several where the launch code and close function were loaded from separate sources that never downloaded completely. I was completely unable to do anything because the ad never finished loading. I can't speak for how often that happens, but the close function should always load before the display function. That's just good practice.
    I hope we can find the right balance of revenue and happiness but like guns & butter it's always going to be a trade off.
    So do we. Despite some of the moaning, we are all still here.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  10. El Grande Queso

Originally Posted by Nilpo
    But do those have to be part of the business? Throwing intrusive ads at a tech audience always garners a bad response. There are a plethora of other options available. Is it going to cause that much loss in revenue to eliminate them? Is it a lack of marketing personnel to find advertisers? The membership here is used to ads being painfully scrutinized before every going live. That does not seem to be happening anymore. It appears that everything is being distributed my third-party sources who don't have a clue what site they are actually displaying on. I seen how this all works up close and personal. I realize that ads come unwanted ads are going to come through, but we are regularly getting ads for Lysol and Mucinex and other completely unrelated stuff which seems to imply that there isn't a person filtering these things at all.
    Dude, you are preaching to the choir. But in short, yes...eliminating the 3rd party ads would kill the idea of the forums. It doesn't seem like a lot, but it all costs...keeping James in the style he's accustomed to isn't cheap, you know?

Seriously though, and I'd prefer to keep these convos between us girls but since you asked in public I'll respond in public-- The lysol and mucinex ads were doo doo. We called, they said it was fixed. We left them up. It wasn't fixed. We yanked ALL the MPU's across the entire network to make our position clear and it caught their attention. I don't think it's ever gone down like that, and if/when it happens again I'll throw in that towel on revenue -v- outright obnoxious any day.

All-in-all, I don't really mind the ads. In the 7+ years I've been a part of these sites I've never browsed with ads disabled. And I actually do click the ones that interest me on the rare occasion they still come through. But the ads lately are very poorly constructed and even worse served. They cause browser crashes, dreadfully long page loads, and an overall horrible experience.
    This is the core issue...we can't get great ads because the sites are old construction. HTML5 ads barf on the screen usually thanks to our circa 2005 table structures. It's baby steps, and its only been 8 days for me on the job so cut me some slack, brotha. Check out the main site...notice anything? Less ads. That's the first 8 days, let's talk in 8 weeks and see if its still holding ok.
    My suggestions: Lose the dynamic loading JavaScript ads. They load painfully slow. I browse on a high-speed cable connection with a very steady 9Mb downstream. With ads disabled, every page load across these sites is under 2 seconds. With ads enabled, I have never seen a page load under 10 seconds, and most take an excess of 30 seconds if they every load completely. I also experience browser crashes in FF and Safari (various version) on a couple of different systems. Firebug's Net panel shows up to a half a dozen server requests per ad before they load. In some cases, that's just to load the Flash container that dishes out another three or four requests before grabbing content. If I force non-cached page loads I get 30+ second load times consistently. I imagine others are having similar experiences.
    Rendering in tables, laddie. If it's still 10 seconds and the ads are that bad after the redesign, we'll do something ala iFrame them.
    That's true, but I've had several where the launch code and close function were loaded from separate sources that never downloaded completely. I was completely unable to do anything because the ad never finished loading. I can't speak for how often that happens, but the close function should always load before the display function. That's just good practice.So do we. Despite some of the moaning, we are all still here.
    We'll get there.

Comments on this post

• Nilpo agrees : Good deal.
  11. Transforming Moderator

Audio ad. For ABC Family in the bottom-right corner.

There was a video ad in the left corner too, but at least it didn't have a soundtrack.
  12. Editor-in-Beef

Thanks. I'll get it taken care of.

-James
  13. Editor-in-Beef

Hey,

Can you clarify if that was on the site itself, or on the forums? And are you sure it was the right side? Thanks. Any info you can provide would help.

-JAmes
  14. Transforming Moderator

I didn't [care to] pay attention to what they were advertising for, but it had the ABC Family logo in the bottom...left? corner of the video.

It was on the forums, on a page for a thread. Don't remember which though. And yes, the bottom-right corner, opposite a video that had the same styling but just didn't have any sound (muted? seemed like it was supposed to have some).
    If I come across it again I'll post.
  15. Sarcky

Seriously, I'm sick of this. Floating "YOU MAY ALREADY BE A WINNER!" ads over the content? Goodbye devshed, it's been fun.

Code:
    dmcaloon@dmcaloon-desktop:~$ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1	localhost
    127.0.1.1	dmcaloon-desktop
    192.168.1.252   marzen
    4.125.226.176   forums.devshed.com
    Attached Images
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
Page 8 of 11 First ... 678910 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo