Thread: New Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

New Forum

I would like to see a new forum or catagory created that contains topics about dealing with SPAM filtering and the software used to do so. Maybe each software brand in a separate forum by itself. I've looked quite a bit around the web and there appears to be very limited like this "forum" style resource. There are some email lists, but that gets old fast and is of little help when needing to look back or search for topics. I for one would appreciate a forum on SpamAssassin and it's many uses in different environments.
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

These threads usually appear in the Mail Server Help forum and to be honest, there isn't really a great deal of them so I don't think having a forum dedicated to them would be beneficial.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. I fail at spelling
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I vote no. Because I know my vote matters so much around here! lol.
    I am working now with Symfony2, Twig, Doctrine, Composer, Assetic, and HTML5. Enjoying doing what I do everyday!
  7. kill 9, $$;

Originally Posted by aitken325i
    These threads usually appear in the Mail Server Help forum and to be honest, there isn't really a great deal of them so I don't think having a forum dedicated to them would be beneficial.
    The name "Mail Server Help" wouldn't automatically suggest to me that questions about configuring my mail client to handle spam would be appropriate there. Perhaps a change of name (Mail Servers and Mail Handling, or something) would be more appropriate than a new forum.

Comments on this post

• additude agrees : This is a good suggestion.
  9. Contributing User

ishnid, good idea.

What I have found on the web was that there is reallly not a "One Place Stop" to get good feedback on handling SPAM, I mean a place where a person could ask general and specific questions and expect to receive a reasonably timed response.

At least here at DevShed, there are people who frequent and reply/resond to questions. This site is great for it's knowledge base an the expertise of the great people who respond here. This site is activity and alive. You yourself have saved me numerous times in the Perl forum.

If there are not many requests for help here as aitken325i stated concerning SPAM, etc. then it's perfectly fathomable that the reason is, at least in part, because there is no "obvious" place to present such questions and requests.

I have dilligently search the web for answers to many of my general questions, about SpamAssassin in particular, only to come up short handed without an answer or to have asked a question in another forum which still sits unanswered and has only been viewed once in over two weeks.

It's only because of my respect and appreciation of DevShed that I'd suggest a new Forum Topic or as ishnid suggests a more obvious location to make such requests.
  11. Kiss My Converse!
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by additude
    ishnid, good idea.

What I have found on the web was that there is reallly not a "One Place Stop" to get good feedback on handling SPAM, I mean a place where a person could ask general and specific questions and expect to receive a reasonably timed response.

At least here at DevShed, there are people who frequent and reply/resond to questions. This site is great for it's knowledge base an the expertise of the great people who respond here. This site is activity and alive. You yourself have saved me numerous times in the Perl forum.

If there are not many requests for help here as aitken325i stated concerning SPAM, etc. then it's perfectly fathomable that the reason is, at least in part, because there is no "obvious" place to present such questions and requests.

I have dilligently search the web for answers to many of my general questions, about SpamAssassin in particular, only to come up short handed without an answer or to have asked a question in another forum which still sits unanswered and has only been viewed once in over two weeks.

It's only because of my respect and appreciation of DevShed that I'd suggest a new Forum Topic or as ishnid suggests a more obvious location to make such requests.
    As always a new forum should be sponsored by a mod who posts up a poll - if its 75% for we will create it

j
  13. Contributing User

The modification to the text for the Mail-Server-Help forum would seem the most logical. If additude's searches aren't finding much, there might not be enough to find.

"If you build it they will come", sort of thing, IYKWIM

It doesn't need to be a new one ... just one that can be found more easily, and perhaps a few questions related with answers couldn't hurt

Comments on this post

• additude agrees : Yes, I think this is a good idea.
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  15. Kiss My Converse!
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by Axweildr
    The modification to the text for the Mail-Server-Help forum would seem the most logical. If additude's searches aren't finding much, there might not be enough to find.

"If you build it they will come", sort of thing, IYKWIM

It doesn't need to be a new one ... just one that can be found more easily, and perhaps a few questions related with answers couldn't hurt
    Please propose specific edits to the cat desc via www.developershed.com/esupport

j
  17. Contributing User

My suggestion:

Mail Server Help forum discussing tips, tricks, techniques and Spam containment solutions. Topics include mail servers such as Sendmail and Qmail, webmail interfaces such as Squirrelmail and Horde and spam solutions such as SpamAssassin and Bayesian filtering.
  19. I fail at spelling

All right buddy,

Look at it this way. Your search done on all forums everywhere searching for mail server produced 500 results in 11.43 seconds. The same situation but searched for PHP produced 500 results in 35.29 seconds. Now, that's over 3 times as many requests for PHP as for mail server. Do you think that it's worth the effort to make a mail server forum?

Answer this, how many mail server packages are there? Hmail, MS POP3/SMTP, what are all the others?

Chad
    I am working now with Symfony2, Twig, Doctrine, Composer, Assetic, and HTML5. Enjoying doing what I do everyday!
  21. Providing fuel for space ships

Originally Posted by chadsmith729
    Do you think that it's worth the effort to make a mail server forum?
    There already is a Mail Server forum, Chad. All additude is trying to do is include spam filtering into that particular forum.

additude - I'm one of the mods in Mail Server Help and the text you have specified looks ok to me. Do as JC says and forward that onto esupport as detailed above.

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  23. I fail at spelling

Really? Did I miss an entire forum? Holy Toledo Batman! You're right!

Well I am out of this like a fat kid in a dodgeball game.
    Chad
  25. Providing fuel for space ships

Originally Posted by additude
    My suggestion:

Mail Server Help forum discussing tips, tricks, techniques and Spam containment solutions. Topics include mail servers such as Sendmail and Qmail, webmail interfaces such as Squirrelmail and Horde and spam solutions such as SpamAssassin and Bayesian filtering.
    And it has been changed to exactly that !

That was quick - thanks JC and Admins.

4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
  27. Contributing User

Originally Posted by chadsmith729
    Really? Did I miss an entire forum? Holy Toledo Batman! You're right!

Well I am out of this like a fat kid in a dodgeball game.
    Chad
    Well chadsmith729...

Maybe thats why, "Your vote matters so much around here!"

Comments on this post

• Axweildr agrees : Ka-POW ;)
    • chadsmith729 agrees : Yep, because I am a shining star. See I gots 3 right on my icon! Wooo {starts dancing around naked}
    • aitken325i agrees
  29. Contributing User

OK, now all someone has to do is add content, so if someone searches they may find a related problem, and will think it's a good place to get help, additude, you brought this on yourself
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo