1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Rule Contradiction

So...the Hire A Programmer subforum says to use the Project Help Wanted subforum if it's not an onsite job and the Project Help Wanted subforum says to use the Hire A Programmer subforum if it's paid work. Considering I'm offering offsite paid work, I'm a bit unsure as to which to post in. That's just a little confusing, so I thought I'd mention it here.
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I've never actually read it like that before. I think the general concensus is that if it's paid work, then it's best to be posted in 'Hire A Programmer' but if it's unpaid then best in 'Project Help Wanted'.

Maybe it's time to actually look over the descriptions for a number of the forums and update them ?

Comments on this post

• codergeek42 agrees : That's pretty much my take on it, too.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. No Profile Picture
    Gotta get to the next screen..
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yes, the descriptions are off but I don't have permission to change them. I did send alternative descriptions to the admins at one point but they ignored my help. That's why I created the two stickies at the top of each forum:

In the "Project Help Wanted" forum: "Are you offering or seeking PAID WORK?":
    In addition to the Project Help Wanted forum, there is a Hire A Programmer forum. If you are interested in or offering paid work then that is the place for you to post. Please consider which forum your post would be more appropriate in and do not post in both forums. Your second post will almost certainly be deleted.
    In the "Hire a Programmer" forum: "Are you offering or seeking FREE PROJECT HELP?"
    In addition to the Hire A Programmer forum, there is a Project Help Wanted forum. If you are interested in working on free unpaid projects or maybe find yourself wanting new people to help with your own project then that is the place for you to post. Please consider which forum your post would be more appropriate in and do not post in both forums. Your second post will almost certainly be deleted.
    I also tried to get them to change the Flash forum description as some of the apps are no longer even supported by Adobe and some should really just be posted in other forums:
    Originally Posted by Flash Forum Description
    Flash Help forum discussing all products originally created by Macromedia including DreamWeaver, Contribute, Flash, Fireworks, Freehand, Director, Authorware and HomeSite. Adobe bought Macromedia in 2005
    Dreamweaver, Contribute, Authorware and Homesite should be in "HTML Programming", Fireworks and Freehand should go in "Photoshop Help". I know they are not photoshop but it's description already includes a bunch of other programs. It's pretty dumb since the only thing people really ask about in the Flash forum is Flash and the ones that ask about the other programs like Dreamweaver never get replies unless I move their thread to another forum.

I've been a bit slack lately as I used to read and update the category prefix of each thread and move the ones that where incorrect. I just can't be arsed at the moment. All the forums I mod here are like ghost towns. I only really check in now once or twice a week when I'm trying to avoid work.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo