Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Editor-in-Beef
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Looking for Feedback/Suggestions

Hi,

At the beginning of the week we announced the exciting news that the Developer Shed network had been purchased by Jim Boykin. For those that don't know, Jim is a long-time fan of the communities that compromise the network (he was literally the second member of SEO Chat) and wants to make these communities great once more.

We can't do that without you guys though, so we are looking for any suggestions or feedback you guys might have to help the process along. That is what this thread is for. We want to know the best way that we can serve you, the community.

Are there any features you would like to see here in the forums? How about on the publishing site (www.devshed.com)?

Anything you hate about the forums? Anything you can't live without or want more of?
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    How about removing the Search Engine Optimization forum, as there is an entire website (SEOchat) on this topic, that is already part of the devshed network and this one is redundant. Besides, 99% of the posts on our SEO forum are from people who want to increase their post counts and post links to their own websites. Most of the posts are one of the following types:
    (a) A question whose answer can be looked up by a simple google search (and I ask, which SEO can't search google? Especially since they spend so much time trying to rank on it). Mostly done to try and stimulate a discussion to increase post counts with replies and possibly do a link drop or two.
    (b) A useless me-too type reply (e.g. "I agree with XXX's post")

I think we should remove the SEO forum or make it like the Outhouse forum, where the posts don't increment the poster's count.

Comments on this post

• MrFujin agrees : My first thought too when i saw that SEOChat exists.
    • salem agrees : Works for me :)
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Scorpions4ever
    I think we should remove the SEO forum or make it like the Outhouse forum, where the posts don't increment the poster's count.
    It used to be that way at one time. But I agree with removing it. It's not really necessary when there's a dedicated community.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

My short wish list:
    * one-click subscribe for threads (currently it takes 4 clicks and I have to leave the thread page; plus it rarely works on mobile browsers)
    * on the WYSIWYG editor the insert code/php option is totally broken; it strips all newlines out of the inserted code which makes it impossible to read

Comments on this post

• jimsthoughts agrees : once we switch to the new vBulletin, it should fix much of this. We'll also make it easy to get to the forum right from the homepage...and feature forum threads on the homepage too.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

We're looking at whether we need all of the forums or whether we should consolidate and cross-link some of them between sites (maybe a Languages site, Open Source site, Microsoft Site, and SEO site?) but we're not rushing to make these changes - plus we plan on passing our ideas by the community first for comment. So... please suggest away as to what would be good! (i.e. you should blow out these 12 forums on devshed, consolidate these, link to seochat, etc.)

I'm hopeful that once we convert to vBulletin 4.x that a lot of the forum issues will be resolved.. things like the one click subscribe can be coded in (if it's not standard)... and they have a completely new WYSIWG editor (they are now using CKEditor). But keep the ideas coming!

Chris
  11. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    My short wish list:
    * one-click subscribe for threads (currently it takes 4 clicks and I have to leave the thread page; plus it rarely works on mobile browsers)
    * on the WYSIWYG editor the insert code/php option is totally broken; it strips all newlines out of the inserted code which makes it impossible to read
    What WYSIWYG? You see the code don't you?

Anyway, those two things are on my list too. I expect that the forum upgrade will take care of them.

I'm also hoping we can remove the ability to underline text that isn't a link.

Originally Posted by labatt
    and they have a completely new WYSIWG editor (they are now using CKEditor).
    So we won't be using bbcode/vbcode anymore? I'll miss it.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  13. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    So we won't be using bbcode/vbcode anymore? I'll miss it.
    You still can. Just like now, you can disable the "simple" interface in the user options.
    Don't like me? Click it.

15. Contributing User

Reply and Quick Reply both the same as Reply, (ie no quick reply) - guessing forum upgrade will look after this?
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  17. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Axweildr
    Reply and Quick Reply both the same as Reply, (ie no quick reply) - guessing forum upgrade will look after this?
    Quick reply was disabled. I can't remember the reason why now, but I do know that the functionality was intentionally removed.
    Don't like me? Click it.

19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

BBCode will be there... and vB4 has a much nicer editor. With regards to Quick Reply... there are about 1,000 options we have to review in the new version. I know there are pros and cons to enabling and disabling each one. Once we get a handle on it, I'm sure we'll be passing a lot of the options by people here. You're the users
  21. Editor-in-Beef

Hey,

Just checking in to say thanks for the suggestions everyone submitted thus far. We set up some tracking for ideas today to make sure we don't lose anything.

The Dev Shed gang and I spoke to Chris and tech today and seems like things are plugging along nicely. As Chris said above, the new VBull has a ton of options - I've used it before and its a pretty sweet system with some really nice features - I think you guys will be pleased with it.

Anyway, if you have any more thoughts or ideas, please keep sending em along as you think of them - appreciate it!
  23. Contributing User

A playpen / test area to allow mods come up to speed before deployment of either vB4 or rolling out new functionality
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  25. Editor-in-Beef

Thanks, added these to the tracking board (also using this as a marker for myself).
  27. Contributing User

The most annoying thing more than anything else is the limited column size on posted code, making it a nightmare to read and in fact puts me off replying to threads as it's too dificult to read the code in its entirerity.

Being a techy forum but not being able to read the posted code is rather counter productive.

I would use this forum more and Tek-Tips less, if stupid annoyances like this were resolved.

At least this forum has an edit function which drives me nuts not having one on TT!

Comments on this post

• keath agrees
    Free MP3 Dance Music Downloads

To err is human; To really balls things up you need Microsoft!
  29. Editor-in-Beef

I could see that... I think someone has mentioned this in the past also...I will pop it up on the board. Thanks for the suggestion!
Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo