Thread: Cygwin-X Help

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cygwin-X Help

I am trying to install NCL/NCAR Graphics onto my Windows laptop, but am having some trouble. I have downloaded the correct file that I need and saved it in the recommended folder, "C:/cygwin/home/XXX" where XXX is my user name.

When I open up Cygwin-X, the instructions (http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/cygwin.shtml WFS) say to make a directory called "/usr/local", but this already exists, but when I cd to /usr/local and try to unzip ncl_ncarg-5.2.1.CYGWIN_NT-5.1_i686.tar.gz, I get the error "no such file or directory. I tried a different route and cd'd to my XXX directory (insert dirty joke here) and tried
    Code:
    gunzip ncl_ncarg-5.2.1.CYGWIN_NT-5.1_i686.tar.gz -d /usr/local
    only to get the error "gzip: /usr/local is a directory -- ignored"

Does anyone know why I am getting these errors? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture

Got it.

Back to real work now...
  5. No Profile Picture

I am also trying to unzip the ncl file using cygwin on a windows system and I'm having the same problem you did. How did you end up solving it? I'm new to programming and using cygwin so any help is appreciated! (My end goal is to use ncl to open and convert netcdf files into ASCII files)
    Thanks!
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Ti2grwd
    I am also trying to unzip the ncl file using cygwin on a windows system and I'm having the same problem you did. How did you end up solving it? I'm new to programming and using cygwin so any help is appreciated! (My end goal is to use ncl to open and convert netcdf files into ASCII files)
    Thanks!
    It was over 3 months ago, so I'm not too sure how I got it. Try doing
    Code:
    gunzip 'filename' -d 'route to directory'
    so that if your ncl file is in 'C:/home/downloads' and '/usr/local' is in 'C:/' your input will look like
    Code:
    gunzip ncl_ncarg-5.2.1.CYGWIN_NT-5.1_i686.tar.gz -d ../../usr/local
    where the '../' means 'move back a directory'.

Let me know how that goes.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo