Thread: Fedora Hell

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Fedora Hell

Hi There,

I have been fighting with this all day to no avail.

The situation is as follows:

My Windows partition got screwed up, so I wiped that partition after backiing everything up from it. But after installing windows it then preceeded to wipe my Fedora Core bootloader - so now I am not able to get into my fedora account - as I want to get the files off this partition and remove fedora from my system. Which I intend on replacing with Ubuntu.

I have tried using the fedora boot cd and trying to reinstall grub through the recovery shell, however no matter what I do it seems to return an error!

I then discovered that the previous user of the PC had configured the partitions and booting with partition and boot magic. So I tried setting the default OS in bootmagic - as the linux partition. However when I now reboot my PC, i get an error about bootmagic image not being able to load. It then continues to try and load fedora, but it returns Couldn't load Kernel.

So I am now stuck with the situation, where I am unable to gain access to fedora or windows now!

Any suggestions?

Regards
    boyindie
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The quickest safe solution would be to boot on a live linux cd and backup what you need and format the drive to install windows from scratch,
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by subdee
    The quickest safe solution would be to boot on a live linux cd and backup what you need and format the drive to install windows from scratch,
    I have managed to do this with a fedora LIVE CD and it doesn't seem to see any of the file structure on the system!
  7. kill 9, $$;
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by boyindie
    I have managed to do this with a fedora LIVE CD and it doesn't seem to see any of the file structure on the system!
    What exactly do you mean by "see"? Does it not automatically mount the partitions for you? Or have you failed to mount the partitions manually?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ishnid
    What exactly do you mean by "see"? Does it not automatically mount the partitions for you? Or have you failed to mount the partitions manually?
    It doesn't automatically load the partitions into the places tab. My Linux abilities are very limited!

I have been able to access these files from Ubuntu LIVE CD, however I am having real problems getting these files off this system. What is the easiest and QUICKEST way of doing this. I have been trying to tar the two folders and then hopefully transfer them over our network to a windows PC. However the tar process keeps failing.

We are talking around 10 gb of data here.

Or would this task be made easier from fedora?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by boyindie
    It doesn't automatically load the partitions into the places tab. My Linux abilities are very limited!

I have been able to access these files from Ubuntu LIVE CD, however I am having real problems getting these files off this system. What is the easiest and QUICKEST way of doing this. I have been trying to tar the two folders and then hopefully transfer them over our network to a windows PC. However the tar process keeps failing.

We are talking around 10 gb of data here.

Or would this task be made easier from fedora?

OK First of all would this be better served in the linux forum, as I have just noticed that it exists.

Secondly, I have now encountered a new problem from ubuntu. I can't copy the files reliably to my windows shareddocs folder, as it start giving me errors about symlinks not available. When I try to tar both of these folders it seems to cause the system to eventually crash.

Is the only way to safely copy this off this machine, to transfer it onto another linux machine?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo