Thread: Free UNIXes

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Free UNIXes

hi,
    I wonder whether there are any free not linux and not *BSD UNIXes for intel? I know there is for exapmle sun solaris, but only the sparc version is free.
    Do you know any?

Thanks for help.
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Depends on how you define "free", but you can probably look at Minix, Plan 9 etc.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

free means not paid, and it won't be bad if it'll be open source but I don't mind if it isn't.

I just wanted to learn sth about pure UNIX, how it's written (if open source) and to write under it.
    MINIX's a bit old but I think it's enough for me for now (C hasn't changed since 1996, has it).

thx for answer

ps.
    Are linuxes and *BSD systems very not UNIX-like (I've got a book that says bsd 4.2 wasn't full compatible)?

ps2.
    Which BSD system do you find the best (most UNIX-like and best documented)?
    Last edited by Jabol; July 28th, 2003 at 02:14 PM.
  7. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    >> Are linuxes and *BSD systems very not UNIX-like (I've got a book that says bsd 4.2 wasn't full compatible)?
    Check out the chart here http://www.levenez.com/unix/ to see how the various Unices evolved. NetBSD evolved from 4.3 BSD Lite sources. Linux was originally written to be a better Minix and IIRC, Linus used the Solaris API as a model for all the API calls in Linux (at least in the early stages). The general consensus on the net is that *BSD has more of a link to the original UNIX(tm) than Linux does.

>>Which BSD system do you find the best (most UNIX-like and best documented)?
    Good question. We're entering the realms of holy wars here. I personally have one FreeBSD, one OpenBSD and one NetBSD box at home and I like all three of them. We generally use FreeBSD at work, in production (though I run one OpenBSD box at work as well). HTH
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo