1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

help! kill all the processes

Hi, I am in big trouble now. One of my program has an infinite loop two days ago. I close the browser at the client site. But I didn't kill it on the server side. At that time, every thing seems fine. But from the night of the day before yesterday, everything is wrong. I cannot open the web page. I was told 'the page is not found'. But I know it is there. After I input my user name and password from the secure shell. I was told 'opening the folder, please wait', and this will last forever. Now I can login with "Putty", I want to see the processes and want to kill those bad ones. I use "ps -A", But nothing happens. I want to kill all the processes those are running. That program will not save anything in the server side. But It will echo something to the browser. What should I do? Please help. Thank you very much and sorry to trouble you guys on Sunday.
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Use this command to list all processes that are currently running:
    ps -xa

The above command should list the currently running processes and some additional information. For the process that you want to kill, look at the PID column (should be the first column) and note down the number for that process.

Then kill the process by typing:
    kill xxx
    where xxx is the number that you noted above. If that doesn't work, you can get tough by typing:
    kill -9 xxx

Rinse and repeat until all the processes that you need to terminate are killed. Note that you cannot kill processes that you don't own (unless you have a root account). Hope this helps
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you very much!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo