1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

"Hidden" file sapce issue

First off I'm not a Unix guru by any stretch of the imagination and after a few hours of google searching I give up on this one.

Here's the scoop and I hope I can relate this well enough that it makes some sense:

We have a Unix box used primarily for FTP uploads. Often the disk used for that fills up and we have to delete stuff. Lately what we discovered is that there are files that still kinda sorta remain there, hidden (sorta!), and eventually suck up a ton of space. The thing is if you go into the GUI file explorer and drill down in to the file structure yuo can see file remanants there (ususally pdfs or pictures). But if you go into a terminal session and do an ls or ls -a or even ls-la you don't see these files! We do delete files over a fwe weeks old but theses file remanants I'll call them do not show up in the terminal session to be deleted.

It's easy enough but takes a ton of time to go through each folder usign the gui file explorere and find these files and remove them. But I am trying to find the cause or a way to prevent this from happening inthe first place.

My best guess is that these files are of failes ftp uploads and never get taken care of. However, if anyone has any thoughts, I'm all ears! Thanks much.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Cool man ls

Try:

ls -alN

5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA
    Try:

ls -alN

Good idea and thanks. But it still didn't list some files in the terminal window that you can see in the GUI file explorer. And maybe this will help, we deleted some of the (larger) files using the GUI that we could not see listed in the terminal window and it freed up a nice chunk of space. (So, nothing critical going on here, it's just driving me nuts!)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by papajon0s1
    Good idea and thanks. But it still didn't list some files in the terminal window that you can see in the GUI file explorer. And maybe this will help, we deleted some of the (larger) files using the GUI that we could not see listed in the terminal window and it freed up a nice chunk of space. (So, nothing critical going on here, it's just driving me nuts!)
    You may want to try adding the -b option to show non-displaying characters as octal - yeah the -N option should cover all of these but just to be safe....

ls -alNb

Hope this helps!

Edit: And if you're desperate, you could try piping the find command along these lines:

find . -print | cat -vet

Mind, once you've found them how to deal with them? Well, one of the easier methods is as follows:

ls -abNil (to give you the inode numbers for the funky files)
    find . -inum <insert inode number here> -exec mv {} newname.file \;

This way you'll rename the file to something you can actually work with on the commandline. Of course, don't actually include the <> characters around the inode number.
    Last edited by Bardon; October 1st, 2009 at 09:11 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo