1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

internet connection sharing

I am trying to set up a pc to act as a gateway/dns for my solaris x86 box. During the solaris x86 install, it asked me to enter the dns and gateway information, which I did. I can see the dns/gateway computer if I use it's IP address, but I cannot access the internet through it.

I am new to dns. Can someone tell me what files I need to modify in order to get my solaris box to access the internet through the dns/gateway pc? I know it has nothing to do with the computer connected directly to the internet as I am able to connect in a similar way using my linux box.

Please help and thanks in advance...
    Edgar Castanedo
  3. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Crumbs, this post has gone a hell of a long time without any respose!

Before anything, check that /etc/defaultgateway contains the IP/DNS name of your gateway. If it doesn't, then there lies our problem. Stick it in there, and reload the network interface ("ifconfig hme0 down" followed by "ifconfig hme0 up" I think - it's a while since I last did anything on Solaris). Routing should soon commence.

Failing that, try and ping the gateway from the Solaris box. If that works, then traceroute to your gateway. Post the results of that here if it works. If that doesn't work, then get a list of your routing info by typing "route". Post that here too. Hopefully that will provide clues as to why you can't network.
    Last edited by alexgreg; October 12th, 2002 at 05:04 PM.
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo