1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Plugins: Manual vs. NFS

Hey all, unfortunately I'm not an SA and have no power to do anything with my own system so I am forced to find alternate paths to accomplish tasks.

Background-

SPARC, Ultra30
    Solaris 5.7
    NS 7.1

All of our machines are mounted to a NFS server.

Problem-

I develop web apps and sites, well I have decided to run Tomcat on my SPARC and do development there. No problem but when I try and run the FLASH files on the NS 7.1 I run into the "you need to download the plugin". Ok so one other thing I forgot to mention is that we are of course behind a firewall and this particular machine does not have access to the macromedia site.
    Ok so download the plugin manually from another workstation and move it to the sparc right? Done but because our NS browsers are attached to the NFS all of the plugin information comes from that server. I would have to jump through hoops to get the plugin installed on the server. SO... I create my own $HOME/.netscape/plugin directory and put the lib files in there. Then I restart my browser but it doesn't know where to find the plugin. I have done some things like "setenv $NPX_PLUGIN_PATH" to my local directory but still no joy.

Sorry this is long winded but does anyone know how to manually set the plugin path for NS browsers?
  3. Contributing User

Go get firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/#othersystems) and install it on your home directory. It's small(19mb download) and will give you control over your own plugins.
  5. No Profile Picture

Right I checked this out and it isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Basically, I need to know how to point my NS browser to a specific location for a plugin.

Since I have no access over /usr/local/netscape/SUNwns/plugins

I have to download a plugin from the net then put it in my $HOME directory and try and get my browser to recognize the plugin. I am frustrated that in order for me to get plugins I have to get all types of approval so the SA's will put it on.

So I'm trying to bypass them and create my own plugin location, and then map my browser to it.

Thanks.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Graphik
    Right I checked this out and it isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Basically, I need to know how to point my NS browser to a specific location for a plugin.

Since I have no access over /usr/local/netscape/SUNwns/plugins

I have to download a plugin from the net then put it in my $HOME directory and try and get my browser to recognize the plugin. I am frustrated that in order for me to get plugins I have to get all types of approval so the SA's will put it on.

So I'm trying to bypass them and create my own plugin location, and then map my browser to it.

Thanks.
    There should be a .netscape/.mozilla or .netscape6 folder in your home directory and in there is a plugins directory you should be able to copy the file there.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo