1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question a program running as a daemon used for monitoring remote activity

hi,

i am quite new to unix and i am still in the process of learning the advanced concepts, ideas, etc.

to sort of apply what i learned, i wanted to create programs that will run as daemon/s on one workstation and a remote server. the difference is that the daemon in the workstation contacts the daemon running on a remote system to ask for information about its current state (ex: filesystem usage, swap, cpu load, etc.). these information would be gathered by shell scripts on the server. the daemons would only act as (1) "bridge" between the two communicating systems, (2) would facilitate the transfer of information and (3) call the appropriate scripts.

all other featuers will be added later on. for now, all i need to perform are these:
    - run the daemons (both the local and remote upon startup)
    - allow the local daemon (workstation) to communicate with the remote daemon (server)
    - allow the remote daemon to run a script depending on the request of the local daemon
    - transfer the data gathered from the server back to the workstation for further processing

now, i am faced with the question of "which language am i going to use for the daemons" i have these languages in mind:
    - c (either compiled in gcc or cc)
    - java

i would like to ask for your suggestions on which of those two languages would be better for a daemon to run - pros and cons.

btw, i am also open for other languages what would seem better for this application. other suggestions about the setup would be very much appreciated...
    Last edited by spyghost; September 23rd, 2004 at 08:11 AM. Reason: additional information
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

i am quite new to unix and i am still in the process of learning the advanced concepts, ideas, etc.

interesting, begin by: ls .??*
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

well, i am done with those ls man etc etc stuff... that's why i am into the advanced concepts already...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo