1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A few random solaris Q's

I got solaris 10 installed on my sunfire 480, over serial, and now have a few questions.

1) with SSH, im trying to do X forwarding. I can get it to a point, when i run xclock, i dont get any errors, but no window shows up.
    /usr/openwin/bin/xclock

Do i need to have an Xserver running on solaris?
    the client is running KDE with slackware 12.0.
    What should my display variable be?
    DISPLAY=192.168.1.101:0.0
    export DISPLAY
    (192.168.1.101 is the IP of slackware)

2) can i label a disk that has mounted partitions?
    Im reading about software raid, and it says to have two 64mb partitions for metadata .. so i have to redefine my swap partition.. but root is still mounted. If i cant, can i boot off the first solaris disk?

3) anyone know if you can stick a PCI compliant video card in it and use X? like a ATI PCI card or something.. i dont have a sun video (and dont really need one) but it would be nice...

4) if i set up zones (containers) .. should i set my containers, and than set up my services (CVS, apache, database, etc...)?

Im a decent linux/BSD user, and am trying to learn solaris. If there are any tips or tricks for anything that you think might be of help to me, its always good to know.

Cheers and thanks for the time.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

1) With a full install you should be fine to pass X.. instead of setting display, I would suggest connecting over SSH with the -XC parameter. This passes X over ssh with some compression.

$ ssh -XC host

2) You can indeed relabel a disk with mounted partitions.. obviously you will have to unmount the partitions you want to modify.. which in your case may require adding some temporary swap.

Sounds like you are using SVM, which is not bad.. it's good to learn for sure.. I would also suggest looking into ZFS. It has a lot better management and gives more features ( compression, checksum, sparse volumes, etc ).

Also, you can boot from your solaris disk.. from the ok prompt to single user mode:
    {ok} boot cdrom -s

3) never put a vid card in a sparc solaris server myself, but you should be able to with no problems.. can't remember what the V480s have for I/O, but you could deff run a desktop on it.

To enable the desktop if it weren't working already, this should work.
    # svcadm enable cde-login

4) I'm not sure what you mean... would the services be in the global zone or the non-global zones? because for non-globals, you don't really have a choice.. you have to create them then configure.

Lastly, I also came from linux/bsd background.. solaris 10 is quite different, but it's nice you have a SPARC box.. I like solaris on sparc much more than x86.

It's different.. all service mgmt is done through SMF, a lot of utilities are just a bit different from GNU stuff..

I use a book called "Solaris 10, the complete reference" It's quite good... I'm still learning, but I honestly prefer Solaris to Linux for most things.. I just wish it had a package manager that resolved dependencies.

ZFS makes Solaris an incredibly good storage server, containers and LDoms are great virtualization technologies (although sadly you can't use LDoms on the 480), and RBAC gives tons of configuration for security and user role management.

If you need any other help, shoot me a message.. I've been sitting in front of Solaris every day for a few years now.. hopefully I have some more wisdom left to give out :P
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oh, i have questions ;)

I got X over SSH to work, i dont know what i was doin wrong, perhaps between PATH variable and DISPLAY variable .. i can now connect to it.

Your right about the video card ... I shouldnt need it. Which is fine because i dont want to sit next to that noisy thing

I belive for an install, i selected UFS. Ill look into ZFS. I might have to do a reinstall, since right now i dont have much on there, and CVS is acting funny. I have a guy from the CVS mailing list helping me with that.

For the zones, from what i understand, is you have one global zone (which encompasses all others) and then you have your non globals, which are like your virtual servers. Im not to that step right now, but ill set the zones before i install software.

What is RBAC?

is there a central spot to look at log files? (like smc?)

Do you know of a good spot to find toolboxes for smc?

Do you know about setting up XCDMP (Remote Xsession?) Id like to see the desktop, and not just a single app.

Thanks for the answers. this thread might be open for awhile, because im always finding new questions to ask.

Thanks,
    Chris

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo