June 10th, 2003, 11:39 AM
OK - root has been recovered... oh, and I got a copy of the Solaris CD 1 for this after all...
Here's how I did it:
- Press 'Stop A' simultaneously on the Sun Keyboard
- type 'sync' - this restarts the Blade, and protects the drives from becoming corrupted.
- After it restarts, Stop A again, then type 'boot cdrom -s'. This boots into single-user mode.
- mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a
- TERM=sun; export TERM
- vi /a/etc/shadow/
- Use vi to delete the password for root
- Save shadow in vi: type ": wq!"
- cd /
- umount /a
- cd /sbin
- init 6 (this reboots you - log in as root, open up a terminal, type passwd, reset your passwd, and you're done!)
Hope this helps someone else out there if they ever run into this situation...