1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Solaris 10 two nodes ip failover

Hi, I have been looking for a simple solution that will make an ip failover to another server if the main server goes down. I read about IPMP in Solaris 10, however, the examples given are configuration for just one server with several NIC. I have seen Solaris Cluster software, but I believe they have a license and some stuff, and I need to implement like an open source solution. Can somebody give me some lights on where to start??
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Cool

Originally Posted by jaimitoc30
    Hi, I have been looking for a simple solution that will make an ip failover to another server if the main server goes down. . . . Etc . . . Can somebody give me some lights on where to start??
    There is no "simple" solution and no advantage to fail-over to another server if you cannot also fail-over the applications executing on the source server.

The only way I know you can fail-over to another server regardless of the running applications is to replicate and maintain a mirror image of the data at the storage block level. This functionality is dependent on the storage appliance you have purchased.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA
    There is no "simple" solution and no advantage to fail-over to another server if you cannot also fail-over the applications executing on the source server.

The only way I know you can fail-over to another server regardless of the running applications is to replicate and maintain a mirror image of the data at the storage block level. This functionality is dependent on the storage appliance you have purchased.
    Well, that part of the mirror image is covered. I have a NetApp array with 10 disks. It was already configured before I got in charge of this project. That disk array has a filesystem created specifically for applications that I need to run on the system, and that filesystem is mounted on both servers, that means that a have server 192.168.1.1 and server 192.168.1.2 are running the same and sharing the same filesystem from the array, however I would like a virtual IP 192.168.1.3 that will point to server one, if it goes down, just point to server 2. Thanks for the reply.
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Cool

Originally Posted by jaimitoc30
    . . . E t c . . ., however I would like a virtual IP 192.168.1.3 that will point to server one, if it goes down, just point to server 2. Thanks for the reply.
    That is exactly how it works:

a) Server1 goes down
    b) Virtual IP is changed (on DNS?) to point to Server2
    c) Server2 is started and corresponding applications are started.

The above process has been automated by VCS (Veritas Cluster), Oracle One-node RAC and similar software.
    Otherwise you would need to do it manually.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo