1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Solaris file installation

Hi folks extremly new to computing and Unix and have trouble with installing files using Solaris 11. Biggest issue is understanding the file types in Unix, how to recognize what files are executable, difference between binary files and libraries. Currently simple trying to install Java. I have the jre the jdk and the netbeans installed, however still cant execute java or javac from the command line. The files are located in the /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.7.0/bin folder. Even when I enter javac HelloWorld.java from that folder I get a file not found error.
    When I edited the PATH variable to point to this folder, after I close the terminal window the path resets back to /usr and usr/bin entries. Lastly how can yopu simple search for a specific file and get its location. I took me for ever just trying the find the javac file. Thank you for any and all info.

Ok figured out how to find files. Also think I figured out the echo problem, need to add the path into the bashrc file so the path is loaded each time new a terminal session is created. NM yet another example on the web that's useless
    Last edited by Krazyfx; October 10th, 2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Problem partly solved

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo