1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unix Network Programming Edition 1 or Edition 2

Hi !!
    I am a newbie interested in network programming and socket programming. I am not a computer science student but had done a course in Linux, C,C++ and am now interested in socket programming. I was told that Richard Steven's UNIX Network Programming is the best book. I also found out that there are 2 Editions of the book. The first Edition is a single book with a green cover (just trying to be more specific ) and the second edition is 2 books. Now I dont know which one to start with as I am a complete beginner. When I was about to purchase the first edition a friend of mine suggested that I might choose the second edition as the first ed would be obsolete. I got mixed answers from other friends as well. Is it that the first edition is an obsolete book (I am merely saying what I heard from some of my friends ). But if so, why was it reprinted ? I am a complete novice to networkprogramming and socket programming. Please guide me as to which book should I go for ? The 1st edition or the 2nd Edition ? I would be extremely thankful if anyone could help me choose the right one.

Thanks and regards
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I personally learned from the first edition green one a few years go. The material in it is not obsolete at all, that is the great thing about UNIX, the fundamentals don't change.

I have never actually seen or read the second edition one. That being said, I am sure the second edition is a revamp of the first one, also it sounds like there is a lot more material coverred if it is two books now.

The great part of second editions though, is that the first editions become real cheap. So you have a decision to make, either be real cheap and go for the first edition one, or spend a bit extra and get the second edition one. I'm sure they have a lot of the same material, but it sounds like the second edition one has some 'extra' stuff, whether it be examples, or new things, I don't know without looking at it. Normally I personally will shell out of the extra money to get the newest one, it at least has all of the erratta fixed from the first one.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo