1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question about tar

for the tar command, I still don't understand how that really work.

This is a homework question so its hould encompass all the unix brand i suppose, but the one I'm using is fedora. So I need like a general command that would allow me to prevent the overwriting during restoration of a tar file.

this is the question excatly:

Specify the Tar command line that (i) prevents files from being overwritten during restoration
    I am stumped, In the book it mentions that if you can specfiy the names that you want to restore from the tar, so I'm thinking of doing a find all files in the current working directory and then somehow pipe to a tar command that don't extract those files? But I don't know how to put in a tar command, Anyone know how to do this?

Also is this correct ?
    Question:
    tar command to append an existing archive during copying
    $tar -cr $HOME foo
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Do you know how to run a man command? Your answers are in there. It took me precisely one minute to find the answer to (i) and about 5 seconds for (ii), since (ii) comes before (i) in the man pages.

If you don't know how to use man, type man man for help.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo