1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A good Solaris 10 install

ok, heres the deal:
    I have a Sunfire v480 box, and currently has Solaris 10 installed.
    With this install, there has been nothing but trouble.
    First thing i tried to do, was install Subversion (from sun freeware). Does not work.. it has problems with finding lib files. So, i decide to compile Subversion with gcc, undefined references, blah blah, comes down to compiling apr, apr-utils form scratchs, and im getting sanity checks failures.
    Basically, i dont think im doing something right.
    Ive found that with installing packages from sunfreeware (pkgadd -d <pkgname>), it doesnt resolve dependencies, and scatters libraries to places that are not in the default search path.
    This was the main reason for compiling (so my libraries are linked to the right places)

Im wondering, if i do a new install, should i do a base install, and compile everything from scratch?

Also, would it be better to make all my stuff based off /usr/local? (although the default path is /usr)
    otherwise, the sun packages get put in /opt, or /usr/sfw, etc .. and the system cant find them.

Id would be nice to get a response from a seasoned Solaris admin, that has a solid procedure for adding software. Also like apache, which is on the system by default, if something like that should be compiled (hense the new install, with only the base stuff)

Should i be using the sun compiler to compile (is it free?)
    does GCC do a good job on a Solaris/sparc machine?

I have no problem installing a few times to get it right, but to save time, id like a procedure, or method on how to approach software management on a solaris box.

Thanks for your time, and hope for some replies
  3. No Profile Picture

Depending on how much disk you have. I normally do a full install + oem. After I know application requriements. I uninstall and shutdown services.

A good tool for installing packages and solving dependencies is pkg-get tool. It connects to sunfreeware and download the packages you want and solves any dependencies.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks

Ill look into pkg-get. Also,
    Is it feasible to compile instead of d/ling the binaries?
    I know the binaries are optimized for sparc hardware, but they seem to have dependencies of stuff im not using... like Apache looking for sybase or something.
    Also, i think the Sun compile is free, but can it be used as a replacement for gcc? (used with make based compiles)?

Thanks once again.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo