1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unix Certification for storage

Hi Team,

i have storage experience with me. But i dont know whether unix certification is important for me or not. but i know only few things about commands in storage .

please help me which certification will help me.

consider solaris i am gng to do.

i heared that unix is easy to learn and it has totally 200 commands.

is that so? please clarify.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You know about 'storage' but not about *nix, that of course dictates you do now know about the use of storage in a *nix environment. It's not just plug some disks in and use ... there is most often a software/hardware abstract layer between the actual disks and what the user sees - some form of RAID, perhaps, and very likely some type of volume management.
    Type of *nix differ greatly in how they 'see' new hardware such as disks and how they name them.
    A lot of version of *nix come with a 'native' volume manager- Solaris 10 (also I think 9) comes with SVM - Solaris Volume Manager (it used to be called something else in earlier versions). But that is only really of use if youknow what and where the disks are - and that really needs knowledge of the OS on the hardware platform. Veritas Volume Manager used to be quite popular too.

In essence, however attached or presented to the OS, the OS will 'see' one or more disks called /dev/rdsk/????. What a volume manager does is group those together into virtual disks and permits far more flexible allocation of space, not limited by the physical size of a single disk.
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo