1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Access Forms to VB6

I have to convert an Access in app set of forms to a VB6 project (.NET being avoided by client). Now there are like 100 forms in this thing.

So I was looking for anyone who may have done this and found a way to export the forms so I don't have to go a button at a time which I may have to anyways.

I have not even attempted the project yet so if you know of any other issues as the Access based old app would be running on the network when I try to get at its tables.

Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks for your help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

In years gone by I've mixed vb6 and access. Problems I remember, Access has a lot of controls that are not available from vb6. I think the option was to re-write the code in vb6 with similar controls, using ADO to connect to the access database.

It was easier to implement vb6 controls from Access VBA, and the applications I ended up using were Access .adp based rather than converting to pure VB6

This was all so long ago, I don't have any available sample code that are accessible. I do recall having to spend some time in the VB6 documentation (MSDN) to enable VB6 objects within Access VBA.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    In years gone by I've mixed vb6 and access. Problems I remember, Access has a lot of controls that are not available from vb6. I think the option was to re-write the code in vb6 with similar controls, using ADO to connect to the access database.

It was easier to implement vb6 controls from Access VBA, and the applications I ended up using were Access .adp based rather than converting to pure VB6

This was all so long ago, I don't have any available sample code that are accessible. I do recall having to spend some time in the VB6 documentation (MSDN) to enable VB6 objects within Access VBA.
    They do everything RDO but ADO was what I usually use. Any drawback to keep RDO since all their exiting code references it? Personally I may end up ADO for the conversion, but wonder if you know of any issues. Thanks for your help. Just doing some perp background before headbutting this thing.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by geometry777
    They do everything RDO but ADO was what I usually use. Any drawback to keep RDO since all their exiting code references it? Personally I may end up ADO for the conversion, but wonder if you know of any issues. Thanks for your help. Just doing some perp background before headbutting this thing.
    Clarification

They do everything RDO but ADO...

They do everything DAO but ADO...
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I was gonna ask "RDO?"

My memory says DAO was pretty much superseded by ADO. I don't know how widely available DAO drivers are, which could be a problem if you ever decide to migrate your app off it's current host. Again, though, it's been a very long time since I worked with any of this stuff.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    I was gonna ask "RDO?"

My memory says DAO was pretty much superseded by ADO. I don't know how widely available DAO drivers are, which could be a problem if you ever decide to migrate your app off it's current host. Again, though, it's been a very long time since I worked with any of this stuff.
    I think RDO was even before DAO. I think you have the best reason to go ADO. Thanks. I now see though, there is no conversion miracle not even Access web apps.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo