Thread: Alerts in VB

1. cosmos curator
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Alerts in VB

I remember, from somewhere in my past, that VB can create alerts other than the !/Alert/Ok and ?/Confirm/OK-Cancel boxes. Is this true? I think there was some sort of information/help alert... can't remember though, i've slept since then.

If there is, can someone post the code for this?

Many thanks.
    R.T.F.M - Its the only way to fly...

"No matter what you do, or how good it is, someone will always ask for more features. Or to change the colour of something, then change their minds."

Personal:
    experience// 8 Years Web Development
    technologies// Standards-compliant, valid, & accessible (x)HTML/CSS, XML/XSL/XPath/XQuery/XUpdate, (OOP) PHP/(My)SQL, eXist/Xindice/XMLDBs
    packages// Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash/Fireworks/Director
    environment// FC2, MySQL, Lighttpd, PHP5, Mojavi/Agavi
    site// //refactored.net/ (Coming soon...)
    quote// Programming is the eternal competition between programmers who try to make apps more and more idiot proof and the universe that makes dumber idiots. So far, the universe is winning...
  3. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

Here is a link to the complete syntax of the message box: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...afctmsgbox.asp

The basic types of message boxes are:
    vbOKOnly -- OK button only
    vbOKCancel -- OK and Cancel buttons
    vbAbortRetryIgnore -- 2 Abort, Retry, and Ignore buttons
    vbYesNoCancel -- Yes, No, and Cancel buttons
    vbYesNo -- Yes and No buttons
    vbRetryCancel -- Display Retry and Cancel buttons

You also have another pop-up window called an input box: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ctinputbox.asp
  5. cosmos curator
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Many thanks for this - you don't know how many forums i've tried over the years for this! Seems silly I couldn't find it myself really... oh well.

How would it be used on a web page then? Cross plaform doesn't matter, i'd only be using it in IE6.

Is there any way to change the buttons on these alerts? For example:

Code:
    Open the file in:

| View Mode || Edit Mode || Settings Mode |
    Ta.
    Last edited by neobuddah; November 8th, 2002 at 05:50 AM.
    R.T.F.M - Its the only way to fly...

"No matter what you do, or how good it is, someone will always ask for more features. Or to change the colour of something, then change their minds."

Personal:
    experience// 8 Years Web Development
    technologies// Standards-compliant, valid, & accessible (x)HTML/CSS, XML/XSL/XPath/XQuery/XUpdate, (OOP) PHP/(My)SQL, eXist/Xindice/XMLDBs
    packages// Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash/Fireworks/Director
    environment// FC2, MySQL, Lighttpd, PHP5, Mojavi/Agavi
    site// //refactored.net/ (Coming soon...)
    quote// Programming is the eternal competition between programmers who try to make apps more and more idiot proof and the universe that makes dumber idiots. So far, the universe is winning...
  7. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

I don't think you would be using it in IE. VB has this control, but I am not sure about VBScript.
    I guess you could get the boxes you wanted if you created your own browser in VB.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Y don't you make a forum that looks nearly like the alertbox? everything is made up of the same type of windows after all? And you could return values quite easily

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo