1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Deploy VB.NET Application without framework

Hello,

My first post here so sorry if its a silly question!

I have developed a small VB.NET (v2) app I'd like to allow users to download from my website and install

The question is - do they HAVE to have the .NET Framework 2 installed in full on their PC - or is there any way I can package up the required framework DLL's into my application.

I think it only uses 3 framework system DLLS so would it work if i marked these as 'copy local' before doing the build ??

Any views ?

Thanks in advance

Steve
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I think it only uses 3 framework system DLLS so would it work if i marked these as 'copy local' before doing the build ??
    Nope. You can't do that.
  5. Inherits Programmer.Slacker
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Stevie -

Understand that even if you only explicitly use the 3 dlls (lets say that you're using system.data, system.threading, and system.web namespaces in your code), the entire application is running on top of the framework and is using many of the classes, types, enumerations, and routines behind the scenes. Rather than picking a choosing which dlls need to be deployed (since there would be many), the framework is just a prerequisite.

This is one of the concepts of a framework, and what helps to differentiate it from a class library. Applications sit on top of frameworks, they use class libraries. To be fair, the .Net framework is really just a collection of class libraries.
    Fisherman

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." - A.Einstein

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo