1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Big problem!!!

Hello everybody,

I have a big problem. I have developed a client application that connects to MySQL. I have compiled the application from my laptop under windowsXP home edition and I installed it on the same machine and it works just fine. So then I tried to install it on a windows 98 machine and from there everything went crazy. Windows would boot up but it would give me the error "MSVCRT.DLL linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL RtGetNtVersionNumbers" with other errors and I had no access to windows explorer so the only thing I had on the screen was the wallpaper. I had to boot up from a windows startup disk and then get a fresh copy of MSVCRT.DLL and copy it from a floppy to windows\system to fix the problem and of course my application doesn’t work. Does anybody would know what in the world is the problem????
    Thank you.
    Chris.
  3. No Profile Picture

Your problem is that the installer you created is including XP or Win2K version of various OLE files etc. When your installer is used on windows 98 its is overriding the win98 versions of thee files with your newer XP/Win2K version. This basically corrupts the win98 system as it can not operate with the conflicting versions.

To rectify the problem you need to ensure your if your installer installs any of the following files, the its installs win98 versions not XP or Win2K versions.

MSVCRT20.DLL
    MSVCRT40.DLL
    MSVCRT.DLL
    OLEAUT32.DLL
    OLEPRO32.DLL

Incidentally if you install Win98 versions of the above files onto a Win2K or WinXP machine then it will still work fine. So maybe best to either always include the Win98 versions or make a smarter installer that detects the OS and loads the correct version of these files.

Hope this helps.
  5. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

In the future please use an appropriate subject title. You can view the sticky thread at the top of the forum for more information on how to post a question.
    I have changed your subject title to reflect a better question in this instance.

Also, if you want to test the install, do it on a test machine that doesn't have VB on it. This way you have a better chance of seeing if anything is missing from the install package. Installing it on the machine that you created it on won't really test that much since all of the files that it needs it there for sure.
    Last edited by Onslaught; June 23rd, 2003 at 09:29 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Smile

Hello,

Thank you guys for your responses to my problem. I will try what you have sujested. I'm sorry for the confusing title that I have put but I was quite frustrated when I wrote this message and not thinking right.
    Thank you again and I will post my progress.
    Have a nice day.
    Chris.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo