1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Installing a VB5 app with a data control

Hello, I have a problem. I have created a VB5 application containing a data control which is linked to an .MDB file.

Unfortunately, when I tried to install it on a PC without VB5, I got an error message telling me some libraries were missing.

Now, considering that I used the VB5 Setup Wizard to create my installation package, what else do I need to give to the final user in order to make my application run?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pasquale Esposito
    Perugia - Italy
    Last edited by esposito; July 13th, 2003 at 01:47 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't believe the PDW includes the ADO/DAO libraries. Easiest is to download the version of MDAC you need from www.microsoft.com/data and distribute the mdac_typ.exe installer with your app. You can write a quick wrapper program to do the mdac install then your program install, or just give instructions to do each installer.
  5. No Profile Picture

First of all, a premise: this is the first time I have used an Access database in a VB5 application.

So far I have been programming my software storing data in random-access databases which have no requirements at all in terms of DLLs.

Managing .MDB files with a data control is something new to me and I really don't know what kind of libraries I need to make my application work on a target PC without VB5.

Would you be so kind as to tell me exactly where I can find everything I need and put it together? I suppose the libraries I need are also present in the VB5 Pro CD-ROM. So, from which folder can I retrieve them? Is it really necessary to download them from the MS website?

My application is a very basic one: it does not make use of any OCXs but only an .MDB database created with the VB5 Data Manager.

I look forward to receiving your reply. Thanks again.

Pasquale Esposito
    Perugia - Italy
    Last edited by esposito; July 13th, 2003 at 01:46 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

What you will need depends on what controls you used.

If you used ADO data bound controls you'll need an appropriate ADO version including Jet. In more recent versions of MDAC the Jet (Access) drivers are in a separate download.

Maybe you can look closely at the error message and determine what's missing, and include the missing dll's in your setup package.
  9. No Profile Picture

Here is some additional information that may help you find the solution to my problem.

1. When I launch the application I get the following error message:

Error: unregistered class. Trying to find object with CLSID: {00000010-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}

2. When I created the database with Visual Data Manager, I chose "Microsoft Access .MDB version 7.0". No version of MS Access is present on the target PC.

3. As I told you in my previous message, my application contains no custom controls. It only has some textboxes, a command button and a data control linked to an .MDB database.

4. I installed the ODBC drivers from the \VB\ODBC directory in the VB5 CD-ROM on the target computer, which is equipped with Windows XP Home Edition, but the error message still comes up.

5. After the error message, I can see the form but the data control seems to be locked (it is not clickable) and there's no way I can scroll the records.
    Last edited by esposito; July 13th, 2003 at 04:43 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture

PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

The mistake I made was to eliminate some DLL references in the creation of the setup package, because I thought they were not necessary.

I just kept all the suggested DLLs and it worked!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

I'm glad to hear you got it sorted out!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo